Chapter: 47

N A T A L I A

I stood firm, as did the other members of the pack. Despite no one sustaining injuries, I remained vigilant.

My focus was on Callum, ensuring his safety amidst the chaos. I quickly disposed of the wolves trying to attack me as I focused on creating a protective barrier around my mate.

Callum was fighting with my father, who had also shifted. I wished they would leave without resorting to violence, but knew that was unlikely.

Regardless of the reasons for my father's attack on the pack, it wasn't worth the lives of the innocent. Yet, as the Luna of the pack, and mated to Callum, I understood my mate's unwavering dedication to protect our people.

"Lia!"

At the sound of a familiar voice, I turned, narrowly avoiding an attacking wolf as I searched the crowd, thinking I had imagined her voice. I didn't have to search far when my sister swiftly dispatched a wolf trying to attack us.

Surprised to find her in our territory, I didn't question her presence as I rushed to embrace her.

"Rhea," I whispered, wrapping my arms around her. "You're here."

"Of course, I'm here," she replied, returning the hug. "I heard about him and had to see it for myself."

As we parted, our attention shifted to where Callum fought our father, both of us glaring intensely at the latter man.

"The audacity," I heard Rhea mutter beside me.

In that moment, I chose to reinforce the protective shield around my mate, satisfied when I witnessed my father recoil from his assault.

The shield enabled Callum to swiftly subdue my father, and I was so focused on him that it took me a second to realise the woman impersonating his mother tried to attack him.

She wasn't having much luck when Callum bit my father in the neck. The latter man shifted back to his human form, falling to the ground. Before Callum could take another dig at him, the female intervened.

A low growl escaped me as I witnessed the scene, and I heard Rhea scream something, though I couldn't make out her words.

Our father laid on the ground, his body convulsing as he struggled for breath. I had to concede, he was resilient.

Meanwhile, Callum restrained the other woman, allowing me to approach my father.

Finally reaching him, I gazed down at his prone form, our eyes meeting. This was the man I had yearned to meet for so long.

"I always wondered about you, what you must have been like," I said, tears welling in my eyes. "If I had known what a despicable person you are, I wouldn't have wasted a second thinking about you."

The dying man scoffed. "I slept with your clinging mother once, not expecting you to be the outcome. Frankly, she was promiscuous enough that I'm not even sure if you're mine either."

His words made me frown, shedding new light on my mother's animosity towards him. I had known him for less than a day, and even I despised him.