Chapter: 20

N A T A L I A

It wasn't the right moment to inquire about his family, and if he hadn't volunteered the information himself, there was no reason for me to pursue it, especially after his silence in response to my words.

With that thought in mind, I released my arms from around him and headed upstairs.

As anticipated, Callum trailed behind me, reaching out to halt me at the top of the stairs.

"What are you doing?" he questioned, gently pulling my hand.

"You tell me, Callum," I responded in frustration. "You clearly don't plan on introducing me to the pack. I mean, look at you at the mere mention of your family."

"Natalia," he warned, his eyes narrowed at my words. "Don't be ridiculous."

"It's because I'm a hybrid, isn't it?" I scoffed, my wolf growling.

At my words, he pulled me flush against his chest, his eyes darkened almost to charcoal. I sensed his wolf restrained within him.

"You being a hybrid has nothing to do with this," he retorted firmly. "We've had two rogue attacks, and now Caia also has a reason to approach my pack. I've been occupied ensuring the safety of our people."

His voice carried authority, causing me to relent slightly. My wolf completely backed down at the tone of his voice.

I couldn't help but feel guilty as his words registered. It was selfish of me to request to be introduced to the pack during this time, but I couldn't shake the feeling of insignificance when he kept me in the dark.

"I just want to get to know your pack," I implored softly, a whimper escaping my lips before I could stop myself.

It was the first time that Callum had spoken to me with so much authority in his tone that it made my wolf back down.

"Our pack," Callum corrected me, his gaze softening. "You can meet them as soon as I can guarantee the pack's safety."

Biting my lip, I nodded curtly, agreeing with him. It would be a stupid move to host a pack ceremony if there was a threat lurking.

"I'm sorry," I apologised, feeling embarrassed.

Callum exhaled. "Don't be, baby," he responded, his voice strained. "I'm worried about your safety. I'm not taking any chances when it comes to you."

"I can handle myself," I told him, my fingers reaching up to soothe the crease on his forehead.

"I know," he told me. "I'll introduce you to the pack soon. I need them to know you're mine."

I felt bad for pressuring him to introduce me to the pack, but as their Luna, I wanted to meet them.

I leaned into Callum, seeking comfort in his embrace. Considering I hadn't seen him all day, I really missed him.

"I don't mean to give you a hard time," I muttered against his chest, my voice muffled.

His arms tightened around me, a low chuckle vibrated in his chest.