55 - canvas of love

- Maddy -

I carefully took the brush off the canvas and cleaned it before examining the painting that was so close to being done.

My eyes studied the two faces that i had drawn, even plastering a smile from knowing that it's me and Lauren.

I dipped the tip of the brush in the white though and painted over any imperfections that had gone out of the lines but the sound of the door opening had me look towards the entrance right away.

"Uhh! There can be nothing better than stepping into the house and seeing you in the same second." Lauren commented whilst hurriedly taking off the shoes and jacket.

"What do you have there?" I didn't bother to give an answer to her words and rather took a glance to the bag she had in her hand.

"Oh.. just.. something." Her reply came out hesitant, having my curiosity grow as i sat the palette and brush down.

"Please tell me it's full of snacks!" I exclaimed, feeling the excitement grow inside me. "Maddy! Don't you think that would be a bit excessive to buy a bag filled with candy?" The woman rolled out a laugh after setting the bag down and taking a step closer to me.

"Alright, alright. I had asked you to bring me something sweet from the store but i guess you forgot." My joyfulness took a notch down and i looked back at the painting, acknowledging that it looks perfect to call it done.

"I didn't forget." Those words entered my ear, the sight of a chocolate bar being held just in front of me. "Oh my god! Yes!" I yanked it right out and ripped the wrapper open to take a piece.

I caught the glimpse of her kneeling down to the bag though but hesitated to zip it open just yet from locking her stare on me.

"What do you have in there? You're scaring me at this point." I commented, keeping my glances between her and the mysterious thing she brought home.

"I don't think you'll be able to remember but at one point i told you that i took the consultant job because of us both." I listened out to her, watching as her finger slowly grabbed the zipper.

"Babe, honestly, don't. I don't want to hear anything about your stupid-"

"I got fired, Maddy." She immediately interrupted me. "Well not like that. What i meant is that i left the job. They weren't the ones that fired me."

"Lauren, what? Why?"

"Because you hated how busy i was?" She questionably said, having the spike of guilt rush over me yet before i could say anything, she kept going. "No, no. I'm joking. I left because i achieved what i desired from the very beginning." Lauren admitted and the sight of her finally zipping it open caught my attention.

"This is for us." She pulled the opening larger and my eyes immediately widened. At this point my body even froze as this was the last thing i expected to see inside.

"This is the only thing i was after this whole time and now that i have it," her hands went in to cup my face, "my only intention will be to never let you experience a day without me by your side ever again."

"Is that fake? It has to be." I shot up from the chair to get another look at the bag that was full of money. My hand went down and i examined one of the stacks, seeing it isn't just pieces of paper.

"I want you to put that money on your card but since i can't without you being with me at the bank, we gotta go there together." She replied with the same happy attitude as before.

"You want what? Babe, my card? Why? If this is yours then please don't give it to me! You made all of this so i have no rights to take it from you."

"You have all the rights, Maddy." Her body stood up, taking a step closer to me. "What's mine, is yours. Know that from now on." The touch of her hands slipped around my waist and i didn't hesitate to forced her into a tight hug which made me believe that she actually meant that.

"This will also be the beginning of our adventures because i want nothing else but to be constantly out in that dangerous world of ours. I wanna be running through empty fields, only to see how free and happy you feel."

"All this because of me?" I whispered out, gently intervening my fingers through her hair. "It always has been."

"Well then," i dropped my arms off her, "i think the coffee shop will have to settle with one less worker from now on."

"Exactly. About time!" She plastered a smile back at me. "But what do we have here?" Her eyes panned away and on the canvas. "From when have you started painting?" She allowed herself to sit back down and examine the painting closer.

"Thought i could take a different approach to this passion of mine. Besides i learned this style of artwork from you through these two years in and after high school." I stood next to her, copying her action of exploring the canvas.

"It's beautiful, Maddy." Her stare traveled up to me with a genuine smile, "i know. I'm even proud of it so we're definitely hanging it up somewhere." I responded, laying down a peck on her forehead.

"What are we gonna call it? We need a poetic name that defines our journey." I heard her question and my mind snapped into the options but one stood out to me the most from how simple but perfect it sounded.

"Canvas of love." I spoke out loud, Lauren's attention immediately locking back on me.

"It's a canvas. I've painted the both of us and most importantly we know that the whole thing is defined as being in love so i think that's the perfect title."

"Can a person love someone more when they already have reached the max?" Her body stood up, pulling me right in, "i don't think so but i think what you are feeling is just assurance that you love me to the point you don't know how to express it anymore." I explained, playfully brushing my thumb over her lips.

"And you? Do you not feel the same?"

"Lauren," my forehead pressed right on hers, taking in a moment of silence from how happy i felt to be where i wanted and with her, "you know the answer to that question. Besides i defined it as something you don't know how to express anymore so at most all i can say," my lips lingered even closer to hers, feeling that the both of us were dying to finally break the gap, "i do feel the same way."

>>>