Chapter 48

The picture above is Katherine and Nathaniel ♡

"What?" I say softly as I drop my fork.
"Look babe , I'm sorry. I can't leave I- I already started work and I can't be away for 3 more years. I- I can't leave."
I avoid eye contact and get up and go to the kitchen to get my keys. "Nicole.. please listen to me. Let's talk about it" Nicolas says as he gets up and walks over to me. "It sounds like you already made your decision" I get my keys and walk to the door. Nicolas grabs my arm and says "Nicole..." I strongly lose grip of his hand and get out. I drive to Maddy and Matt's house.

They graduated already and came back to Chicago and bought a house. Matt is a detective and Maddy works for CPS (Chicago public schools). When I get there I get out of the car with tears in my eyes. I turn my phone off because Nicolas keeps calling me and texting me. I run up to their door and knock. Matt opens the door and I run to his arms. He hugs me back and says "Nicole....what's wrong? Are you okay? "
I shake my head and I pull away and he closes the door. "Who's at the door?" I hear Maddy's voice as she walks over here. As soon as she sees me she runs to me and hugs me.

"Nicole what happened?!" She hugs me tightly and I cry on her shoulder. They lead me to the living room and I start to tell them.
"He's not going back to Washington with me" I say through my tears. "What? Why not?" Matt says. "He started work and he can't leave"
"What are you guys gonna do?" Maddy asks.
"I don't know. I don't want to be apart from him. And the kids. Would they go with me or him?" I sigh and Maddy walks over to me and hugs me. "It's gonna be okay. Come on" she says as she helps me to stand up and leads me to a guest room.

"Thank you" I say as we walk in. "No problem. I'll bring you some pajamas" she smiles and at me and I smile politely back at her.
She comes back and hands me a pair of sweatpants and a tight white shirt.

I thank her and she leaves. I shower and change and lay down on the bed. I reach for my headphones and play some music. Thoughts began to flow through my mind as tears flow through my cheeks.

Nicolas is so....ugh! How could he do this? I understand but.....how about me and him and our kids? I'm an independent woman and I don't depend on any man so I'm not worried of going back alone but what I am worried about is that I won't see the love of my life for some time. And who will our kids stay with? Me or him?

Ugh! I don't know. But thinking about this made me realize that it wasn't the best choice to just leave home without discussing this first. For all I know he might have a plan already and I didn't listen to him.

I get out of bed and get my stuff and go downstairs. I get out the house and drive home. I left a note on Maddys refrigerator that explains everything.

When I get home I go upstairs quietly so the kids won't hear me. I open the door to our room and see Nicolas staring at the ceiling and rolling around the bed.

When he hears me he sits on the bed. "Can't sleep?" I say as I walk closer. He nods his head and I sit on the bed. "Look... I'm sorry I told you just like that. I understand that you might be worried and all but-" I cut him off and say "No. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left like that. I should've listened to what you had to say." He gets closer to me and hugs me. I hug him back and we lay down on the bed still hugging. "We'll get through it" he whispers in my ear as I lay my head on his chest as his grip around my waist tightens.

Next day.....

I wake up and I turn move my hand up and down on the bed looking for Nicolas. I turn around and he isn't there. I stretch and sit up. I yawn and rub my eyes. I go to the bathroom and do my business and brush my teeth. I go downstairs and see the kids with Nicolas. I smile and Nicolas sees me and sits the kids. He walks over to me and looks down to see me with his hands on my hips. We kiss and he walks over to continue cooking.