Chapter 18

Anvesha:

I stared at the headmistress blankly. She was saying some incoherent words which weren't being processed by my brain.

I have been distracted for the past few days, and there's no secret why that is.

"--University of Calcutta." At the name of another institution, my ears perked up. I looked around to see dazed or blank faces of fellow students. I needed to know what the teacher was saying because it clearly affected everyone in the room.

I had familiarized myself with the woman sitting in front of me, so I decided to ask her what headmistress was telling because I couldn't catch anything else in her words other than the university's name.

"Pakhi?" I called out for her politely.
She turned around with yet another dazed look. When I smiled at her, she seemed to come back to reality. "Hello, Anvesha. May I help you?"

Pakhi was a girl with refined manners and a highly affluent background. She was half British and half Indian, due to her grandfather being a British officer of his time. I know that she wasn't allowed to talk to any cast below her, and that she was showing me these manners only because my father reached her "rank" on the social hierarchy. I personally despised that system, but I couldn't do anything about that because this girl was taught that since she was able to form coherent sentences.

With light brown almond shaped eyes, same coloured hair that reached her waist and lips which were slightly discoloured pink, she wasn't the most beautiful girl out there but she was enough to catch the attention of many men.

"Were you able to listen to the Headmistress? I was not paying attention, so I didn't get what she was telling us." I replied to her just as politely.

"Oh, she was telling us that we are going on a field trip to the University Of Calcutta. She feels that connecting better with the few other universities here would benefit us and our educational system." She said, not once loosing the curve of her lips.

I felt a warm sensation in the pit of my stomach; I was clearly excited. University of Calcutta was one of the most prestigious institutions in India. It is tough to even reach there. Even though I could not join it for obvious reasons, at least I would be able to fulfill my wish on how it feels to be there.

"Are they taking us without any fees?" I question Pakhi out of curiosity.

She smiled and nodded. "Yes."

"Thank you for your time." I smiled to her and relaxed in my seat.

"It was my pleasure." She said to me and turned towards the front of the class.

I looked around to see woman packing away there belongings in there bags. Some had there things placed in the hands of their chaperones. There weren't many women...ten to fifteen to be exact. We were paid much more attention with the lack of number in students. I shook my head and waited for everyone to leave, so that I could follow where they were going.

"You are not coming, Anvesha?" I heard Pakhi say. I was surprised that she was still talking to me, but ignoring the fact, I nodded towards her and together we both left the study arena towards the outside grounds.

About ten carriages were standing outside the main doors of the headquarters. We were told to sit in any one of them. When the teachers ensured that the students are safely sat, they ordered for the carriage drivers to move.

I felt a sudden sense of freedom and excitement within me, for the smile on my face never did vanish. Pakhi, who was sat beside me, seemed to notice this because she smiled back at me with a knowing glint in her eyes.