Chapter 21

Alexander:

I watched as the British sailors, officers and some women and children as they walked through the stairway joining the ship. Some had a dazed aura around them, and some looked disgusted as well as curious, don't know where they were setting their feet.

Jordon thumped his right foot on the ground impatiently, as his eyes searched the hordes of people for his own mother and ours.

I turned to look away from when when I suddenly caught sight of a woman dressed in subtle colours. It could only be...

Mother!

The child within me urged my body to reach out to my mother and embrace her with all the longing that had filled my heart for the time I was away from her, but I didn't as I felt the gaze of my father on me.

My mother's green eyes searched the crowd for us, and when she finally located us, I saw her eyes shine brightly, some tears at the edges.

My heart thudded in my heart as she approached us with her short, careful steps on the deck, an escort carrying her luggage behind her.

I didn't even pay attention to the other women following her lead, probably my friend's mothers as my eyes were only on my own mother whose eyes were gradually threatening to spill the tears they held.

"Mother." I greeted her. But that was not the only thing I wanted to do. I wanted to jump in her arms, enveloped by her floral scent and loving arms.

"My dear son, you've grown!" My mother wondered as her eyes searched my face. I watched as she clutched her arms to her side, not wanting to disappoint my father as he was not a great fan of display of affection in public.

I couldn't keep it anymore so I bent forward and pulled her in my arms, feeling my father's eyes bore in my head. My mother let out a surprised squeal before she hugging me back.

"You've not changed a bit, my boy." Mother whispered with humour in in my ear, referring to my habit of disobeying father.

"In that matter, I won't ever change." I whispered back to her

"I have a surprise for you." I pulled back from her as I was suddenly filled with a childish excitement.

My mother said nothing, but I heard a slight clearing of someone's throat behind me. I turned around to face whoever interrupted us when I came face to face with my best friend.

Amelia!

Her lips turned into a shy smile and she curtsied. "Alexander". From her golden hair, to hear beautiful grey eyes to the dimples on her cheeks, she was exactly the same like I'd last seen her.

My heart felt like it would burst any second from the joy I was feeling at this moment. I bowed and muttered a greeting to her, but in reality I just wanted to pull her in my arms. It had been so long since I'd heard from her. The letters never reached me at correct times and neither her.
My mother feeling the need to meet other people, left us both at the edge of the dock.

"How have you been, Alexander?" She asked my as she played with the edge of her glove.

"What is this with all the formality, Amelia? Or is this not the same Amy I'm talking to?" I joked to her, but felt a slight confused when I saw her cheeks dust with a red which wasn't there before.

"I-I just--" Amelia was abruptly cut off when her hand was grabbed by a dazed Jordan.

My eyes widened slightly at this and his appearance which was totally dishevelled. Dear Lord, the boy was even breathless.