Chapter 29

So I really need to know your thoughs my lovely readers. I don't know what I'm doing is right or wrong. Please leave comments to tell me your thoughts on this chapter.

***

Anvesha-

I sat in my father's store which overlooked the decks. The sky was bright while all I felt was gloom.

I had sneaked to Alexander's apartment, or more like, near his apartments since I didn't want to get caught by his guards. But there was no sign of him.

Then I checked the market, King's, and even behind the forrest behind my home, but I didn't find him.

My lips were trembling because I felt this searing pain in my chest. It was hard to breathe because there was something blocking my throat, something painful.

My father suddenly entered the main room, coming out of the storage. He noticed me and was fairly surprised. "Avi, you're here."

I quickly put a smile on my face as I held up a tiffin. He chuckled and took it from me. "I was so hungry, Shona. Thank you." He said as he kissed my forehead.

Being near my father made me want to let out all the emotions out, but I knew I couldn't. So instead I said, "Papa, can I stay here?"

My father nodded, not questioning. So I seated myself at the settee and stared at the decks. There was a fair share of British guards as well as Indian workers.

Two ships were anchored, probably leaving for Britain. One of the ships was being boarded by a number of British people, dressed in huge gowns and delicate jewels and neatly tailored suits. It was a good distraction until I caught sight of the Indian workers being treated like slaves.

I wish I could do something about it, but there was only so much in my hands.

I suddenly saw a commotion At the entrance of the decks. Two cars suddenly parked to the side and a group of British men and women left the car. A number of guards were shielding them from view.

People were clearing way for them and that could only mean that these people were important.

"Shona, isn't that the man you had, ahem, slapped." My father said in a teasing voice. My face snapped towards him and then towards the direction he was pointing.

My breath faltered as I noticed Alexander amongst the hoards of adults and guards.

I forced myself to not do something abrupt.

Was he... was he leaving?

I swallowed the bile I felt rising in my mouth and blinked the moisture away from my eyes. "Yes. He's the one. Where... are they going father?" My voice cracked but my father was too busy in his work.

"I heard he made quite a show yesterday. He was supposed to marry a coucil member's daughter but he didn't reach there in time. His father decided to send him back. It's a right decision, this boy is a piece of work."

I froze. I suddenly felt a rush of emotion overcome me as the tears clouding my vision suddenly decided to fall. My hand went up to my mouth and I suddenly felt loek running up to Alexander and stopping him from leaving.

I wanted to tell him the truth. I wanted to tell him that I did not care about what future held for us.

I shut my eyes tightly, not wanting my father to see me. Then I stared at him as he waited at the check-in centre. He looked impassive. His eyes were searching the crowds, or may be he was just passing his time.
But I wanted him to look at me. If not words, maybe my eyes would be able to tell my true feelings.

And he did. His body suddenly turned towards me as his eyes locked with mine. Alexander looked away and I felt my heart sink but then as if he suddenly realized something, he looked at me with wide eyes.

His body froze as he stared at me with a steel like gaze. By now, the tears from my eyes were falling freely. If not for the stack of clothing between me and my father, he would have seen this.

I wiped my eyes and he continued to stare at me. I lifted my mouth in a hollow smile but then I felt his eyes narrow at me. He was angry. He didn't want to see me.

But I had to tell him.

So I took a deep breath and stared at him in the eyes. Then I mouthed the words to him I know he wanted to hear. Those three words I never thought I would use for him.

Those three words I thought that I would get time to say to him on his face.

His face morphed into an expression of shock. And then I saw his lips tremble. Suddenly, the guards and a person I could only make out as his father, were ushering him forward.

No. Please don't leave me.

But he did. He was rushed inside the ship.

And he did not look back.