Chapter 28

This is a picture of Lincoln 

IZZY'S POV:

My head is pounding against my skull when I open my eyes. Everything is blurry until my vision comes into focus. I slowly sit myself up on my elbows and look around. I'm in a cellar in a very long hallway. There are lines of cages upon cages on each side. Each cage has at least one man. I gasp when I see what they look like. All of them have scars, fresh and old, thick and thin. slashes across their bodies. Something that I am very familiar with. They all look like Xander's old wounds.

That was when I realised where I was. My heart beating hard against my chest, "No," I whisper to myself. They've caught me...they have me. Stupid Lizzy! Stupid! You're such an idiot! Why did you leave him! Why did you leave the only safe place we have left?!

Oh yeah...that's right. My heart aches as I picture him with...her. He betrayed me. I can't believe it. There is a part of me inside that doesn't believe it, but then why would he do such a thing? He went through so much to keep me safe, keep me protected because he loves me. Why would he do all of that if he had her this whole time? It just doesn't makes sense. I rub my head, trying to relieve the confusion that was crashing around in my brain.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I can't worry about Xander right now. I can deal with him later. Right now, I have to figure out a way to get out of here.

I look around my cellar frantically, trying to find a flaw. A way to get out. I search the walls for anything. Something caught my eye. Writings, pictures, symbols on the wall. Pictures of a family of five. A mother, a father, two sons, one big and one small, then a little sister. I keep looking and see horizontal lines going up the wall and numbers on them. It clicked. This boy was measuring his height as he grew. There was a little bit of writing next to this:

Dear Moon Goddess,

I pray that wherever my mate is, that you will protect her with all of your power. Keep her safe from anything that may do her harm. And I pray to you moon goddess...that I will meet her soon, and that you will give me the best ability to care for her, keep her safe...and love her with all my heart and that she will love me too.

A tear runs down my cheek and my breath quickens when I realize...this was Xander's cell when he was trapped here. There are criss crosses on the wall, counting the days he was there. The criss crosses covered the whole wall.

"Oh Xander," I whisper in longing.

"Do you know him?" A deep voice asked.

I looked to my left and see a very rugged looking man sitting in the cell next to me. He looked ruthless. He had scars and tattoos. He was made out of pure muscle. He had a shaved hea with piercing blue eyes.

"I said ,"He says more demandingly, "Do you know him?"

I nod my head silently.

"What are you to him? A girlfriend?"

"His mate." I whisper.

I see the man's lips pull into a small grin, "Well what do you know, the bastard did it."

"What do you mean?" I sit down on the floor.

"Xander used to be in the cell you are in now. We were close. I was here for about 6 months before he came along."

I nod, "How long have you been here?"

"Long enough to forget what my mother's face looks like."

I felt my heart hurt for him and every other prisoner in this hell.

"What does Matheseus want with me?" I asked fearfully.