Chapter 11

Part 2: Emma's POV

Chapter 11:

There were quite a few things I hated about this school. There was the fact Alyssa's training group always seemed to not be telling us something, the fact they seemed to think we couldn't handle things, and the fact everyone is trying to kill someone.

I supposed I knew it was coming. I had always heard stories of the school, from the heroics of some to the deaths of others. I just wish I wasn't so caught up in the middle of it all.

I walked back to my dorm by myself. There were so many times I was pushed to the side because Alyssa was in the showdowns. Our powers were equally as rare, mine actually rarer, but because Alyssa had to be rash and impulsive, she got the special treatment.

I sighed. I knew she would turn out to be something incredible from the moment I saw her talking to Dylan on the first day, or at least I hoped. There was a rumor that one of the teachers has a power that senses what powers the incoming students have, and they pair the two most powerful together. When I first came, I wanted to be powerful and I hoped my roommate would be so that I had a chance to be.

Now I wasn't sure how I felt about being that powerful.

When I reached the door, Dylan was waiting outside. "Are you ok?" we both said at the same time.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You seem stressed, and pushed to the side, and overwhelmed, and I don't know what to do because I feel the same way."

I was shocked. "What? You haven't seen me since the showdowns began. How do you know exactly how I feel?"

"I don't know. It's happened once before. Evan was really excited in class because he found out his power was material transformation, you know turning one thing into something else, and I was more excited about it than he was. Why would I be excited about someone else discovering his powers?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe you were feeling nice. Are you friends with Evan?"

He shook his head. "No. We have classes together but we don't really talk at all. I brushed that off as just something weird, but when it happened again with you, I wasn't sure what to think."

I paused and put some pieces together. "Come inside. I think we might be onto something."

Once we were inside my dorm room, away from prying eyes and ears, we continued our conversation. "What if this is my power?" he asked me.

"You mean being able to feel what other people feel?"

He nodded. "Yes. It's like empathy, but physical and stronger."

"I don't know. I've never heard of someone having that power."

Dylan walked around the room and sighed. "I know. Most powers are some sort of material control, but you can feel what other people are feeling health-wise. Isn't this the same thing?"

I shook my head. "I can get a reading of what people feel, but I don't actually feel the same things as them."

"But aren't all the powers somewhat similar, but still different? I know you think this is outrageous, but right now it's all I have."

"What do you mean all I have?"

Dylan paused. "I keep feeling like there are people here who shouldn't be."

"What? Like Anthony? I agree. Someone should just boot him out so he doesn't kill anyone. Is that what you mean?"

Dylan shrugged. "I have no idea. But whoever it is, they're mad. And tired of waiting."