Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"The top floor is clear," Dylan said. We agreed the it would make the most sense to work from top down, that way everyone could be evacuated off the roof since the arena was close to the ground exits.

"You still good?" I asked. He nodded in response. Emma and Erin's job was to make sure he could keep working. It was draining for all three of them.

"If Griffin and Ace are still on the second to top floor when I start, I won't be able to tell them apart from everyone else and I'll take their powers too," Dylan said.

"That's ok," Tessa replied. "You're going to have to take all of our powers anyway. Don't let them stop you."

Dylan closed his eyes and continued to pull the power from the school and everyone in it.

Octavian was emptying every cabinet and closet of food. His job was to keep them from getting hungry.

Tessa's eyes widened. "Nile, go outside. Make sure no one else gets in here."

I knew what was happening; we figured it would. I walked outside and closed the door. Anthony and a crew of Searchers were coming down the hall.

Suddenly, the ground was on fire. I smiled. "Good try."

Before Anthony could react, the entire hallway was filled with water. Then the lights went out. That wasn't me, and that's how I knew that Anthony brought the biggest variety of powers he could to counteract me. The hallway was drained of water, but the darkness remained.

I opened a chasm underneath our feet, and they started to fall, but the combination of the air and earth powers in the group stopped it quickly.

I was one of the strongest, if not the strongest person in the entire school, but that didn't mean much when I was against a huge group.

I just had to keep them away from the door. A quick combination of all my elements and I had created a wall blocking off the hallway from the door to the gym. Then I went back inside.

"Do this hallway!" I told Dylan. He looked up and then held out his hand at the door.

"Open the door."

I did, and I took down the wall I had created. Then Tessa and I got out of the way as we watched the biggest group of Searchers either of us had ever seen get their powers taken away.

Once he finished, he slumped back in his seat. "I don't know how much longer I can keep this up."

"You haven't even done a quarter of the school yet," Erin said.

"I'm too tired," he replied.

Emma shook his shoulders. "No, you aren't. We have to keep going."

"There's so much power inside of me that I can barely stay awake now," he said.

Emma's eyes glowed gold and suddenly Dylan sat up. "Wow. Yeah, that was good, whatever you did."

Emma smiled and then grabbed the bag of pretzels Octavian had placed on the table. "Eat this too."

Then she turned around and ate a lot of the food off of the table. Erin looked at her.

"I'm fine," Emma said between bites of a bagel. "Focus on him, not me."

"Top three floors are clear," Dylan said suddenly.

"That quickly?" Octavian asked.

"Yeah, whatever Emma did was like an energy drink. I'm feeling so good right now."

I looked at Emma with eyebrows raised. "Think you can pull off another one of those if we need it?"

Emma shook her head in reply. "No. At least, not for a while."

"Why don't you have any energy drinks in here, Nile?" Octavian asked.

"I tried one of those a few years ago," I answered. "Wasn't pretty." I recalled the time I accidentally flooded the basement and burned the entire east yard because I had so much power I didn't know what to do with it.

"We could use some not-so-pretty right now," Erin supplied.

"Yeah, well I don't have any. And we can't get to the cafeteria without either getting attacked or getting our powers taken," I replied.

"We're going to lose our powers eventually," Tessa supplied.

"But I need mine to fight the dragon, Erin and Emma need theirs to help Dylan, and obviously Dylan needs his. You and Octavian and Tenya wouldn't last in a fight if it comes to that. And everyone else isn't here."

"I'll go anyway," Octavian said. "That's more important than me surviving anyway."

"I'm not letting you die over some energy drinks," I answered.

"Then I guess I'll have to try extra hard to not die. Don't try to stop me."

I didn't. I handed him a knife from the rack in the gym and told him good luck as he left.

"Top four floors are finished."

Only six more to go, then it would be time for me to fight the dragon.