Chapter 13

Chapter 13

As everyone pushed towards the exit, we pushed towards the teachers' box. Once we made it there, we discovered that there was a protective net around it too. It was a good thing I hadn't volunteered to be in the box as a medic, otherwise I would be dead too. Loch was only trying to help, and he and the rest of the teachers were dead.

Alyssa was fighting the stone dragon, and by fighting I mean trying to avoid the fire that shot from its mouth.

"It's a stone dragon, how is that possible?" I asked Nile once she made it down to us.

She shook her head. "I don't know. I'm guessing it has something to do with the person who said they were trapped inside the dragon, but I don't know who that is and we don't have time to figure it out right now. We have to get through the net."

Erin tried first with her energy. She used focused beams, almost like laser beams to try to cut it, but it didn't work. Nile tried the same thing with fire, and that produced the same result.

"I thought you said powers can't go through it," I added.

"Would this help?" Dylan asked as he pulled out a knife.

"That is the biggest plot convenience ever," Griffin said as Nile grabbed it and began cutting. "Why do you have it?"

Dylan shrugged. "You all have powers that can cause serious damage, and so does a lot of other people. I have to protect myself somehow."

"You brought a knife to a gun fight?" Tenya said.

Dylan laughed. "Basically."

"Well I'm not complaining," Tessa said. "We have to get in there."

"Not we," I said. Everyone looked at me. "Face it, Griffin can fight the darkness guy and Nile can fight the dragon, but neither of you can fight both or help Alyssa. I can go in and help keep her alive so she can get out. Some of you go around and open the door and some of you close the net once I get in. We have to keep the dragon contained and possibly the darkness dude if he hasn't already gotten completely free."

I climbed through the net before anyone could respond with the fact that Griffin and Nile could just both come in with me. I guess they really didn't want to.

"Close the net and get the door open," Dylan repeated. "Let's go!"

I jumped down to the wooden floor, and Alyssa turned around when she heard the thud that occurred when I landed. One thing I noticed was that the dragon couldn't fly, but I wasn't sure if I could outrun it or the fire, if necessary.

Alyssa turned back to the dragon as it blew a wave of fire at her. She didn't have time to move out of the way, but once the flames died, Alyssa was still standing and wasn't a burnt cookie. I knew I would not have the same fire-resistant result if I was hit with a wave of fire.

Alyssa continued to back over to me, until she was close enough to shout to me, "What are you doing here?"

"They're opening the door. I'm here to keep you alive!" I shouted back. "Can you control the stone that the dragon's made up of?

She shook her head and yelled back, "No!" The roar of the dragon and the pounding sound it made as it moved made it really hard to hear each other.

Another wave of fire came, and Alyssa sent up a blast of water to protect us. I held out my hand, and even though I wasn't touching her, I was able to help keep her going. She threw out her right hand in front of me, and a wall of rock shot up. The fire hit the rock, and part of it melted off, but the rest protected me.