Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"It's finished," Dylan said as he opened his eyes. It had taken him and entire case of Red Bull and the entire afternoon, but he did it.

Erin, Emma and Dylan all looked like they were about to collapse. We had decided that since they were using so much power, we needed to give them some time to regenerate before we took their powers away. Everyone else in the school, including my training group, were all powerless.

"Once I head down, you all need to get out of here as fast as you can. After I cut the net, it will be a full-blown war between me and the dragon," I said. "Everyone else is out of the building, and I don't want you all getting hurt."

"Sure, but first nap," Emma mumbled.

"No nap," Erin said as she shook Emma's shoulders a little. "I'm good to go, Dylan, whenever you are."

"Are you sure?" he asked.

She nodded. "Go ahead."

Dylan closed his eyes and I watched Erin glow blue for a second, and then it stopped. She held out her hand and flexed it slightly.

"Wow. This is weird."

"We will all have to get used to it," Dylan said.

"I'm going to head up and meet up with everyone else," Erin said. "Unless you need me here?"

I shook my head. "We'll be good down here."

Dylan looked ok, but Emma definitely did not. "Emma, what's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm working on it. Healing myself is basically impossible."

"Should we have waited and had Erin give Emma energy?" Dylan asked me.

"It's too late now. Have you eaten anything?"

She nodded.

"Wait, Dylan, don't you have everyone's powers?"

"Well, yeah I guess but I have no idea how to use them."

"Just do what Erin did earlier with flexing her hand."

"Yeah, and how am I supposed to know what will come out is energy and not sand or fire or something else?"

"You have to feel it," Emma said. "Feel the power. It's not that hard."

Dylan glared at her. "I'm pretty sure it is."

"I don't have as many powers as you right now, but I have experience with trying to figure out how to use water and not fire, or any of my other elements. Focus on the one. Imagine it. See it. Feel it. Manipulate it."

"How come you didn't do this with Alyssa when she was training?" Dylan asked.

"We did drills actually using her powers, not just focusing on things. But that was because we had more time and she had actually used her powers before."

"Ok, but then you did things with me when I was under pressure, and that helped."

"I am not going to do that this time because that would mean Emma would be on the brink of dying. I don't want that. First of all, that would be terrible, and second of all, Hayden would literally kill me."

"I don't think Hayden would kill you," Dylan said.

I raised my eyebrows. "You don't know Hayden. She has the highest murder rate of anyone ever in the school."

"Worse than Anthony and the dragon?"

I nodded. "Trust me. We don't want to give her a reason to get angry."

"Hayden's not that scary," Emma said.

Dylan and I both looked at her. "Sure," I replied.

"Seriously. I'm sure one of the Originals was much scarier," Emma said.

"Which one are you thinking of?" Dylan asked.

The Originals was the collective term for the group of four teenagers who were the first known people with powers. They were the original elemental, as each of them had control over either water, fire, earth or air. Not all of them survived to start Aptitude Academy, and none of them were alive now.

"I'm thinking Harper," Emma said. "I mean, fire would probably be scarier, but Harper was always down as the leader and I feel like she could be very intimidating if she tried."

Dylan laughed. "Ok. I would say Dash, with his earth power. He did all the cool stuff with the tunnels. Someone who can do all that would have to be a little scary."

I shook my head. "You guys are so weird."

Emma looked at me. "Which one do you think?"

"I don't agree with either of you. I think Hunter would be the scariest."

"I doubt you would be afraid of any of them, though," Dylan said. "You can combat all of their powers easily."

"Poor Phoebe," Emma said. "No one here is afraid of her."

"Wasn't she the fun one? I don't think she would mind not being considered scary as long as she was on a beach somewhere."

"See, Nile, now you're getting into it," Dylan laughed.

Emma started laughing too, and then suddenly she fell out of her seat and started shaking on the floor. I jumped up and moved the other chairs away from her and then knelt and held her head in place as her seizure continued.

"Dylan, I need you to give her some energy before she stops responding entirely," I commanded. Once Emma stopped shaking and opened her eyes, I asked, "Emma, can you hear me?"

She nodded, but then she gasped, and her eyes rolled back.

"Dylan, here's that pressure situation you wanted!"

"What? I never said I wanted a pressure situation."

"She has no pulse so if you don't do something soon she is going to die."

"Ok! Ok! I'll try."

I stepped aside as Dylan went to work. Honestly, I was more nervous about Emma surviving than I was fighting the dragon. I couldn't imagine losing another 8 on my watch, especially since she was in my training group. I was responsible for her safety. It wasn't that I didn't care what happened to the other people in Aptitude Academy, a training group is a family. I couldn't change the fact that Alyssa was dead, along with Loch and hopefully none of my trainees in the other years, but I could make sure Emma survived. Another death might just tear my world apart right before the most important battle of my life.

But besides that, I would take on all four Originals on their angriest day before I would have to tell Hayden that her sister died on my watch.

~~~

Sorry for such a long wait!  I will do my best to finish this book as soon as I can.  There's only a couple more chapters , so there shouldn't be too much wait. 

I hope this chapter was worth it though!  What do you think will happen to Emma?  And Nile in her battle?  And how will Dylan get out of the school if he still has everyone's powers?