Chapter 16

The day passed in pretty much the same way.

Oswine told them stories when there was nothing good on the TV or when they were tired. Leo would snap at someone and down an entire strengthening shake to make himself decent company again.

Milo had given over most of his shakes to Leo, just to keep him from feeling guilty. He refused to let anyone make more, so Milo took the risk of sharing Katarina's.

They still weren't sure if it would do them much good protecting themselves against their enemies. But it seemed to make Leo happy, to think that drinking it was 'mandatory'. If they weren't all drinking it, Milo was pretty sure he would give up and then he was more likely to explode.

Katarina was the first to fall asleep, somewhere around noon, during a film she found boring, but that Leo seemed to enjoy. There was a brief ringing of the pack bell at half past, that woke her, and then an insistent banging.

Milo complained about that and waited until she lifted herself from leaning on him, before heading to the door. He looked out the side window and spotted Josanna fighting to get past the guards.

He was so confused and curious that he opened the front door for a better look. She was shouting at the brothers, who tried to subdue her, while a small crowd was gathering from passers by.

He put his fingers in his mouth and whistled as loud as he could, capturing everyone's attention.

The moment Josanna saw him, she stopped fighting and flattened her clothes as if nothing had happened. "I would like to see my sister," she insisted.

"Oh you would? Well your sister was getting some much needed sleep, until you started trying to beat the door down. Piss off," Milo snapped the words out in frustration. He didn't like that insolent way she made her claim, as if he had no right to refuse her wishes.

"Don't you talk to me that way!" she argued back, her hands moving from her side plait to her sides as she curled them into fists in anger.

Milo saw Algar moving closer, ready to strike before she could. Callum was standing just a little distance away, by the porch steps, as if ready to stop her if she tried to run. He felt like warning the kid that she wasn't going anywhere. She would stand there until she turned to dust if it got her what she wanted.

"And don't you forget who I am!" Milo shouted back. He wouldn't have anyone talking to him like that. He hadn't accepted it from his Beta and he wouldn't accept it from Josanna.

Algar was about ready to tackle her, for the way she argued with him, but he raised his hand and calmed him down a bit, before it got out of hand.

"I'm the Alpha. Show some respect," he demanded.

But then Josanna did something she had never done before; she sneered at him like she thought he was some kind of joke. If she was a man, he would have knocked that look off her face, but he had never hit a girl in his life and he didn't plan on starting any time soon.

Josanna folded her arms across her chest as she raised an eyebrow at him. She looked so different from the girl he had once seen hugging her sister because she had managed to beat him, in training.

"You are just my sister's mate, Milo, and I am your Beta's," She clarified her position as if she thought that being the Beta's mate made her something special. Well, she wasn't and she wasn't Leo's mate.

"Algar! No!" Milo shouted the words but couldn't do anything to stop the raised hand from making contact. Luckily, his words made an impact before Algar's backhand contacted with Josanna's face.