Chapter 34

Leo sat down in the living room and ran his hands uncomfortably over his jeans.

Constantine was sitting, relaxed, across the coffee table from him. There was a serious but slightly amused look in his eyes and he had a book on his lap.

Milo had taken his bags up to his room once the book was extracted and no one had any time to discover what the book was.

"I have been looking into your situation," Constantine revealed, laying his palms flat on the face of the book as Leo watched him. "I have here a book that most shifters would love to get their hands on. It is the chronicle of every prophesy and every mating ever recorded," he explained.

Leo was stunned that such a thing existed, but he was certainly intrigued. And hopeful. Very, very hopeful.

Constantine sighed to himself. "When an exceptional child or a shifter who will be older than their mate senses their mate with certainty," he began, quite seriously. "we are contacted and we chronicle it. It helps us keep control of lineages and which mates are unsuitable for each other."

Leo crinkled his nose at that. He wondered if he was about to be told that he and Angel were unsuitable because he was just a Beta or because they were both men. Because both excuses were a load of crap.

"The forbidden spell used against you, to change your true mate, was created when unsuitable bloodlines were destined to merge. In the old days, when less of us continued our bloodline than we wished, we were able to ensure we were not inbreeding with one another," Constantine explained everything about the book in his hands. "Back then, as now, as your Alpha knows, the Alphas have the power to bite human individuals they deem worthy of our gift," he said, explaining things that Leo had no concept of.

He raised his eyebrow, in surprise. He hadn't known that, but he guess that was the kind of information only Alpha's knew.

"That is how new shifters are created," he insisted, as if to answer his curiosity. "Similarly to the mating, specific words must be spoken at the bite, to ready the human soul for the change. This helps us increase our numbers and ensure there is no breaking of the ancient laws," Constantine continued gravely.

There was no hint of amusement or a smile on his face and Leo knew that he was being told something extremely important.

"When Katarina first told me of your predicament, believing you were mated to both Josanna and Janet, I was worried for you. Not many of our kind face the dilemma you had. It is not unheard of, but is not exactly common either," he returned to the topic. "The book is always hidden by the last Elder to note a chronicle. I last chronicled Kate's match, with Milo," he explained, calmly.

"Unfortunately, my mind is often in as much a state as my study is. It took me a while to find the book and by that time, Bricia also claimed to be your true mate. So I searched until I found the book," he claimed, intriguing Leo as to where this was going.

"And you know, for sure, who my mate is?" he asked, needing clarification.

Constantine nodded and opened the book. Just that one movement had Leo's eyes focused on the worn, yellowing pages at the front and the newer, fresh pages at the back.

It looked to be bound together only with string, so that new pages could be added as needed. It was only around two inches thick, so he guessed it was a new edition and that there were probably many, many more from the past hidden away.

"Yes. You and Katarina were both right. It is this man you have seen in her dream walk. Have you discovered anything of him, after this vision?" he wondered, curiously.

Leo shrugged and frowned, trying to focus. "Kat says she met him...talked with him in the one this afternoon. His name's Angel and he's waiting for me." That information came pouring out of Leo's mouth because it was the most important. The other things, well they were private and he wouldn't share them with anyone. Even an Elder.