Chapter 25

Leo tried really hard to concentrate on the pain, without letting it consume him. It helped having Milo in contact. He tried to open his mind to the mental link that allowed them to communicate, thanks to Katarina. He tried to use it, to access the love that she shared with Milo so he could push it towards whoever was in so much pain. To let them feel a moment of relief.

Close your eyes, Leo. Let me help, Katarina's voice entered his head and suddenly, he felt nothing but relief. He automatically let her take over. He closed his eyes tight as he sat on the stairs, rocking back and forward, trying to focus the pain away.

"Kat's helping," he gasped, trying to let Carlton know that they were both trying really hard to make it work.

With Katarina guiding him towards the right way to think and feel, he managed to find the link of love between the three of them; his Alpha, Katarina and himself. It was a tangible thing in his mind, as Katarina talked him through it all.

He mentally threw that sense of love and acceptance towards the pain and it eased fractionally. After five more minutes of doing the same thing, he could feel a bond connecting him to the person in pain and he felt their relief and gratitude at his gift to them.

"Now tell me...is this feeling your true mate?" Carlton asked.

This time, unlike every other time before, he didn't have to think about it. "Yes," The word came out of his mouth without any hesitation or doubt. He knew. This person, in so much pain, was his true mate. His real mate. The one he was destined for.

Carlton sighed and straightened up, as Grene and Milo watched him.

Leo kept his head down, trying to tell his body that he wasn't in pain any more.

"Then we have a very big problem."

"Damned right we do. No one is torturing a member of my pack or yours," Milo protested angrily.

Leo couldn't even argue with him. How many 'true' mates was he going to encounter? And how many of them were lying, scheming manipulators?

"Well, that's not exactly true," Carlton accepted that Milo was angry without irritation. "I left my Beta in charge of the pack and, if he deems it a necessary punishment, for an unforgivable crime, then he will use torture," he admitted, as if that was a reasonable reaction. "Then there are those of my pack who were captured in the war and have failed to be returned. But that would mean that Bricia is not Leo's true mate," he thought aloud.

Milo snorted at that exclamation. As if no one else had figured that out. "No shit," he agreed, rubbing Leo's shoulder, as he tried to help dispel the tension of his body that no longer needed to fight the pain.

"I'm going to have to call on Constantine. He's the only one skilled enough at potions, to help us now," Carlton decided.

What Leo needed was a complete system reboot. And maybe a holiday to get over the intense grief.