7

Sharon laughed. What a joke! She glanced at Max. He was staring at uncle Olu all shocked and confused. She laughed even more.

"What's funny?" Uncle Olu lifted a brow and folded his arms across his chest. "Please, tell me. You don't think I meant what I said? I'm still waiting for your form. Max has already handed his over."

Sharon's laughter ceased. "You can't be serious."

Instead of answering, Uncle Olu stretched out a hand, waiting for her form.

She handed it over. "I do not understand"

"As of now and throughout this therapy session, which is compulsory by the way" Uncle Olu paused and observed them over the rim of his glasses "you would forget the fact that I am related to you. You would answer questions put to you candidly."

Sharon itched to stand up and leave but she respected her uncle too much to do so.

"Do I make myself clear?" he asked, authority heavy in his voice.

"Yes," they answered in unison.

"Good. So," uncle Olu leaned forward and rested his elbows on the gleaming surface of the mahogany desk. "Let's discuss my payment. My services aren't exactly free, you know?"

Sharon sprung to her feet, sputtering, "I r-refuse to"

Uncle Olu frowned and stared at her with such disapproval, she had to look away.

"What is it? Are there ants on your seat? Did they sting you?"

Sharon opened and closed her mouth, words abandoning her.

"Close your mouth before a fly dances in. And sit down."

As Sharon obeyed, she glanced at Max. He wasn't even trying to argue, to stand his ground and not encourage her uncle's behaviour. Her lips twisted in irritation.

"Like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted."

Sharon felt uncle Olu's gaze but refused to look up.

"Since money is not a problem for me, my payment would come in another form."

Sharon suspected she wouldn't like whatever he was about to say.

"You would both take turns taking care of the livestock."

She facepalmed. "But, uncle"

"But nothing." He cut in sharply before turning to Max. "Do you have issues with my payment?"

Max looked from her to her uncle, and at that moment Sharon wished she could figure out what he was thinking. When his gaze fell back on her, he grinned, all pearly white teeth and happy eyes. "I am totally fine with the means of payment. I've never worked around a farm in my life. I wouldn't pass up the rare opportunity."

Sharon chortled and looked away.

Oh, it's so on. Max wouldn't even know what hit him when her sweet revenge smacks him in the face.

"What about you? Do you have a problem with my remuneration?" Uncle Olu's voice sounded painfully cultured, like a polished lawyer speaking to a needlessly difficult client.

She huffed before answering. "I have no problem with it."

Uncle Olu nodded once before retrieving a flat office file and placing their forms in it. Weaving his fingers and resting his chin on them, he observed them for a minute, no words, just looking. Sharon would have laughed at the situation if her rage wasn't still drumming away in her head.