27

"I cannot believe this woman." Sharon slapped a hand over her face and watched her mum through the gap of her fingers. She was chatting and laughing with the doorman as if he were a long lost buddy.

"I'm tired of this. How do I make her get the message?" Sharon sunk deeper into her seat, wishing she could disappear. "Let's turn back."

"Too late." Max turned off the ignition and faced her with a sober expression. "She looks like she would keep coming until she sees you. Might as well rip off the bandaid."

"But she was here just yesterday." Sharon groaned. "I don't want to go. Let's move out, find another place to live. But I love our apartment."

"I swear you sound like baby Sharon right now." Max laughed. "Come on, babe," he grabbed her hand and pressed a kiss on it, "we have to face this dragon."

Once they stepped out, Max walked around the car to get their shopping bags from the boot. They had stopped at a mall before making it back home. She planned to make chocolate cupcakes, complete with silly icing decorations.

Just then, her mum turned in their direction. She smiled and waved like yesterday never happened. After saying something to Mike, she started over in their direction. She wore dark blue mum jeans and a black sweater. Her hair was in a bun with lines of gray at both temples. The kind grandmother look she was rocking at the moment was jarring.

"I would not stop coming until you hear me out." Her eyes were bright and determined as she spoke. She turned to Max and nodded once in greeting. "Max."

At least she acknowledged him this time.

"Morning." He mirrored her nod and tried to walk past them.

No, you don't. Sharon grabbed his arm and held on. "What can we do for you?"

"I will tell him."

Sharon and Max exchanged confused glances. "Tell who?"

"I will tell your uncle the truth as you asked me to yesterday. You are right. Keeping him in the dark all these years was wrong. I will tell him everything."

Sharon blinked slow, finding it difficult to understand this new approach her mother had taken. She was up to something, she had to be. What made Sharon feel even more uneasy was the sincerity she was exuding. That politician's flashy smile of hers was gone, and her mouth wasn't held in its usual flat line of disapproval.

Warning bells clanged and banged in Sharon's head. "You do not mean that."

"But I do." She took a step in her direction. Sharon leaned away, pressing into Max.

Her mum's gaze dropped. "Okay, I'd call him this instant." She began rummaging through the content of her bag. When she produced a phone, she wove it at Sharon. "I will call Olu and tell him everything. I am willing to do anything to mend this."

Again there was that look Sharon couldn't place in her mum's eyes. Pleading? Impossible!

"No." Sharon shook her head. "Telling uncle Olu all that over the phone is a little mean, don't you think?"

Her mum winced. "You're probably correct."

Sharon turned to face Max. Patting his arm, she forced a smile. "You know that story you wanted to know so badly yesterday night? Well, she will tell you all about it." She turned back to her mother. "You can help me with that, right?"

Her eyes jumped from Sharon to Max as though she were trying to decode a hidden message. "Okay," she said at last. "If that is how you want it." Again with that pleading look.