22

I am so sorry, guys. So, so, sorry. This chapter is coming mega late. I even promised some folks that I will post a new chapter about two weeks ago. Understand that at that point, I was convinced that the chapter I had was good enough. When I read through it again, I saw it wasn't. Finding the time to write a fresh chapter was where I got stuck.  :( 

______________________________________________________________________________

"What did you say?" Max's attention shifted to Sharon, whatever he was doing on his laptop completely forgotten. "You remember?"

Instead of answering his question, Sharon glared at him. "Why didn't you tell me aunt Maria is dead?" Her lower lip trembled. "You and uncle Olu lied to me!"

"Babe... listen." Max stood. His mind struggled to grasp what was happening. He was stuck between joy and confusion.

Sharon remembers.

She slapped his hand away when he attempted to wipe her tears. "Don't touch me."

Max sighed, settled into the bar stool, and shut the lid of his laptop. He didn't need to look to know she was crying.

The whole situation was weird. Of all the memories, it had to be that one she remembered. He had to go through the whole process of helping Sharon through her grief again.

He lifted his head. "Look—"

"Don't talk you me." She glowered at him, the rage and pain in her gaze making Max feel ashamed. Ashamed for what exactly? The entire situation was ridiculous.

When she turned and marched out of the kitchen, Max followed after.

"Sharon, wait."

"I am not talking to you. Stop following me," she yelled between sniffs and quickened her steps up the stairs.

"Oh boy." Max paused midway, waiting until their bedroom door slammed shut.

What to do... what to do? He swept a hand over his hair and rested against the wall. Sharon had been broken for three straight weeks after her aunt's demise. It had been mad difficult to get her to crack a smile then. With new Sharon, he was clueless about how to approach the matter.

His phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out and glanced at the screen.

Uncle Olu.

Swiping the screen, Max pressed the phone to his ear before he began a slow walk up the stairs. "Hello?"

"Would you believe me if I told you I forgot the main reason I called?" His voice was a calm rumble. "I could swear it was at the tip of my tongue a second ago."

Max smiled. "I understand. Happens sometimes."

Uncle Olu laughed. "Old age." His voice grew serious. "I will be leaving for Lagos tomorrow evening."

Great, just great.

Max sighed. "It keeps getting better and better."

"What keeps getting better and better?" There was a shuffling sound in the background then a small thump. "And why do you sound so morose? Who beat you?"

A reluctant smile tugged at Max's lips. Uncle Olu was funny even when he wasn't trying.

"She remembered something."

"Excellent news! I told you she is getting better. Why are you not shouting for joy? Don't tell me another issue has arisen." His voice echoed. "Oya, tell me what happened."

Max took a few more steps up and eyed their bedroom door like the boogieman guarded it. "She remembered the day your wife died."

"Oh." There was a brief silence. "Of all the memories."