Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Maybe I Should Try

Katio's POV:

I woke up, scrambling to get up to my feet, failing a few times, due to all my muscles feeling stiff. My dream felt so real. Heki, how could I forget what he looked like, I was such a bad friend. I could barely remember the events that had happen, the only thing that was clear was Riku's plan. The band of thieves that he and Aimi had formed, he was going to get rid of a few of them. He wanted the Nine-tailed Fox host and the last Uchiha, both were rumored to be in this village. Blinking the edges of sleep from my eyes, I looked around to see where I was. I was alone, in a room. I could smell the strong scent of Master Kakashi's pack, and Master Kakashi himself. Looking to the pictures on a shelf just above the bed, confirmed as to who's room I was in and who's bed I was currently laying on. Adrenaline helped me to move my stiff muscles enough to jump off the bed. I didn't land with grace, in fact I would describe my landing as a fall. I yelped only slightly, as my side twinged, this confused me as there wasn't any wound there, or bandages, so why was it twinging like I had hurt it. I wish I had somehow stifled the sound, as it seemed to summon Pakkun to the room.

I growled at his entrance, as I pressed myself up against the wall.

"Whoa! Easy." He said, eyeing me warily. "I told Boss you wouldn't like waking up in here."

"Master.... put me here?" I asked, quieting my growl. I noticed that I could speak a bit better. I decided to just take it as a small blessing and leave it at that.

He nodded.

"Why?" I asked, easing away from the wall, but inching my way toward the door. I didn't like being in here.

"You need your pack. It was a good call, the Bosses scent seemed to help you rest during the night." Pakkun said, not letting me by so I could leave. I tried side stepping him, but for a little pug he was good at blocking my path.

"Let....me pass." I growled.

"We need to talk first." He said, sitting down, and nodding his head for me to do the same.

I kept standing.

Pakkun sighed, seeing that I was not going to sit, but started talking anyway. "What don't you like about the Boss, pup?" He asked.

I turned my head. "There are...many reasons..." I growled, clearing my throat. It was still hard to talk, but at least it wasn't painful anymore.

"Lying is bad Kaito." I blinked, as Heki, stood just behind Pakkun, still faceless. I waited only a moment to for Pakkun to notice him, but he never did.

"Come on, pup. You can tell me." Pakkun said, trying to get an answer from me.

I honestly, don't know why I can't bring myself to trust Kakashi. He felt safe. He smelt safe. He seemed like a good pack leader. I could abandon Master Riku and be Kakashi's ninken for the rest of my life. I gritted my teeth, pushing those thoughts away. Master Riku would never let me go, just as Aimi wouldn't have let me go. Not that easily. They would hunt me down and kill all who I had come to care about again. I couldn't let that happen. I just needed to find my way out of this village, without getting attached to anyone.

"You can' t isolate yourself forever." Heki said, before I blinked and he was gone.

"Okay. You don't have to answer if you don't want to." Pakkun finally said, after I didn't answer for a good few minutes. "Just listen."