(19)

On Tuesday afternoon, after a dull day at school - all things considered after what happened with Tanner. He wasn't at school - I returned home in search of Max.

Amalia had plans with her father so I didn't feel as bad when I didn't invite her over for a dip in the pool. It had been tempting. More than tempting. But Max and I were overdue a conversation.

Flynn and Abby car pooled with me this morning and damn well tested my patience when both of them climbed into the backseat after school.

I stared at them through the rear view mirror. "I am not acting like a damn cabbie while the two of you fuck on the backseat. Someone better get the fuck up front."

It was shocking when Abby laughed and told Flynn to sit up front. Mills was right. She was so much happier and it was as if, overnight, she had become this whole new person.

The person she used to be. It made me happy that she was in such a good place again. I wanted nothing but the best for her.

But she had to share the gentle giant. That was just how it was. I needed him too. Not in the same sense obviously.

However, I did leave them to it when we got home and went upstairs. I changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

Mom and Dad weren't home but Dad wouldn't be long. Mom didn't leave the house a whole lot so I didn't even know where she was.

When I'd had a browse at their calendar last week, I noticed a lot of travelling scheduled for the next few months.

That wasn't a surprise considering it was football season. Dad had to attend games. And now that we were all old enough to be left alone, Mom went with him as often as possible.

However, I did notice that both of them would be around for the first game of the season on Friday. They would never have missed it.

When I thudded on Max's door, there was an immediate answer from the other side, so I pushed it open and found Kyla sitting at his desk, tapping the keyboard with an email open.

"What's up," Max said, shoving clothes into a suitcase. Not just a duffel. But an actual suitcase.

One he hadn't used since a certain summer camp that came with a handful of fucked up memories. Not because of him. It was all me. Well me and two others.

I walked further in and slipped my hands into my pockets. "Going somewhere?"

New York.

When I didn't respond, he looked up, folding a t shirt with raised brows. "You're not surprised, right? You knew I wanted to go."

"Yeah I did. It's just weird. Now that it's happening for real."

He continued packing his bag so I sat down on the bed. This had all happened so fast. We hadn't had a chance to hash out the actual details.

Would he come back? Would he visit? What school was he going to? Was he even going to school? Where would he be living?

It didn't seem he was going for a short visit. He opened a second suitcase on the floor and started gathering up other belongings, such as photo frames, paper files and the little knick knacks that sat next to his laptop.

"Could we go and do something dude?" I said, resting my hands on my knees. "Some dinner or a drink. Something?"

His attention went to Kyla who was closing the laptop. She pulled her jumper sleeves over her hands and turned in the chair, meeting us both with a smile.