(47)

My bed was empty in the morning.

Amalia was no where to be seen through my tired, narrow glare.

Sun came in through the curtains as I sat up and rubbed my face, smiling because I could still smell her on the pillow case.

I wandered out of the room, taking my shirt off as I went because I needed to shower before work.

I figured Amalia was in the bathroom or getting dressed. But when I walked out into the living room after dropping my shirt in the hamper, I found her in the kitchen.

She didn't notice me at first as she moved around the countertop and scooped French toast out of the frying pan.

That's when I noticed she was wearing a pair of my sweat pants. The cord was as tight as it could go and she swam in them but it made me breathless. It was so beautiful.

"I was meant to make you breakfast," I said and laughed when she jolted with fright.

The aroma in the air was sensational and I watched her, heart thumping as I wandered to her and her gaze swept over my bare torso.

She sweetly accepted a kiss on the cheek and even better than the French toast, was the scent of my shower gel and conditioner. Her hair was still a little bit damp.

"You've showered as well?" I asked, curious as to how long she had been awake for.

She nodded and headed over to the sink to rinse the pan. I wasn't sure what held my attention more, the food or her.

Her obviously. It had to be her. It wasn't even a choice.

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep so I figured I'd get a head start and organise some breakfast," she dried her hands and found two sets of knives and forks in the draw. "I found the towels and stuff. I hope you don't mind."

My heart expanded as she stared up at me, handing a plate over. I leaned down, cupped her neck and kissed her forehead. "I would kiss your mouth," I said. "But I haven't brushed my teeth."

She laughed and I took the plate from her. We sat down at the breakfast bar and ate together.

I couldn't remember a better morning than this one. She crossed her legs on the stool and tucked her hair behind her ears.

When she ate, her tongue lapped out at her lip and she did this subtle almost unnoticeable dance as she chewed. Her shoulders moved up and down and her knees bopped.

It was so cute.

"Your food will get cold if you don't stop watching me," she said without looking over to where I was staring at her.

She turned her head with a mischievous grin, so I cut a corner of the toast and ate it, giving her an innocent smile while I chewed.

I wasn't surprised to find it tasted delicious. Sweet and spice. Kind of like her.

"So you said you didn't sleep well?" I asked.

"I actually slept really well," she said. "I just woke up early. And I felt really rested. Hence the breakfast. I'm not always this organised."

I laughed.

She turned her body towards me and scratched her brow, lips pursed as she inhaled a deep breath.

"I was wondering if I could hang out here for the rest of the week? I'm just not really ready to talk to dad and I don't know what to tell Berne's. But I'll go back after we've been to California. If you'd rather I didn't, I can stay somewhere el—"