Chapter 4

DEIDRE

He was her new sight. Her only sight. Her eyes were meant to stay on him for an eternity.

He was beautiful. He was all she ever desired.

Her legs shook. He was intimidating. Her mouth went dry. She felt like salivating.

"You are free to go inside now," the guard barked.

Deidre fell on her hands and knees. The rough impact had red imprints appearing on her soft skin. She wiped her hands from the dust, hissing in pain. 

"If you don't move immediately then you get pushed," another guard said, their voice crude.

Deidre stood, fixed her glasses on the tip of her nose. She was grateful they had not fallen. Her parents would have murdered her. The glasses cost a bunch. She flinched at an unwelcome arm having slung around her shoulders.

"Calm down. I will show you to your next class. Walk."

She recognised the girl as one of Ursula's friends. The nice one. Her hair been dyed purple, the roots showing off a brownish tint. She walked with a confidence. Her grey eyes with specks of gold concentrated on the road ahead, the students in the hallway. All eyes turned to them. Deidre was a newbie. It was natural. She saw a look of disgust in their eyes. It made her uncomfortable. People had a habit of not liking her from a first view.

Deidre took in the girl's outfit, scrunching her nose: ripped, black jeans, leather boots and a dark blue tank top. None of the girls at her school dressed this way. All of them wore dresses and had no piercings. Of course, mother had told her they were devils marks. She had told her mother about this girl who had gotten a tattoo and she had gone off on her. Deidre sat in her bedroom for the weekend, the temperature turned down to teach her a lesson after she had blurted out the idea of her possibility of getting a tattoo. God, she didn't even own any dark clothes. All her clothes were light and girly. Too girly.

Would she be a bad influence?

"I like your hair," she blurted out, shame hitting at the abrupt comment. She felt guilty. Girls complimenting girls was abnormal. Mother had told her that compliments to other girls were too intimate. 

 "Thanks! What's your name?"

"Deidre. Deidre Thompson."

"Nice to meet you, Deidre. I'm Erin Bailey."

"It's nice to meet you!" She tugged on the straps of her backpack. "Do you know where I can get my schedule?"

Erin rolled her eyes. "Everyone in this school has the same classes. This school doesn't really care about education nor the people in this pack. No one gives a shit. Doesn't matter if you are a genius or not, but you will be with the idiots."

"What? How?"

"Yeah. This pack is just full of assholes. Control and power is all that is necessary. No one is nice here. No one will be there to help you if you get in trouble. You are on your own."

"No one is nice? So, I won't get any friends?" What was it with her and horrible friends? She'd had two in her previous school, but those girls had, I guess, not been her friends in the end. She was betrayed.

"You may get them, Deidre, but you just might lose them the next day. So, whatever you do, don't be naïve and believe anyone. If some girl comes up to you and offers to be your friend or help then don't take it because betrayal is a bitch. When a guy comes up to you, says that he likes you, that you should meet him by the bleachers or somewhere, then don't go. You will end up with two options: violated or a bloody mess. We are body bags to them or holes they can stick their dicks into."