Chapter 14

Word count: 5280

DEIDRE

As soon as I got downstairs that morning, my father was all over asking questions about Thomas. He questioned me for five minutes straight, with mother listening right there. She seemed to scowl every time my father mentioned Thomas.

Of course I only told him that Thomas was nothing more than a student to me. That I was only tutoring him and there was nothing going on between us.

We were just friends.

I mean I was lying, to myself even, because I knew that Thomas and I were more than that. We definitely weren't friends.

Thankfully they believed my little lie, even if I felt guilty about it.

Although what got my mood down was that Thomas didn't even show up for our run. I waited there for half an hour but he was a no show.

I felt a little disappointed, but thought that he probably had something more important to do.

"So... that boy, is he anyone special? Is she special to you?" Mother cut me out of my thoughts.

I gave her a second glance, before sighing in defeat. "I-I don't know."

"What do you mean by that, sweetie?"

I fiddled with my fingers, a nervous habit of mine. "I don't know if he is. Of course I feel like there could be something between us. I feel like there is, but I'm probably just imagining things, right?"

Mother gave me a warm smile, but it seemed forced. "Do you feel attracted to him? More than you've ever felt with anyone? Do you feel like he might be the most important person in your life?"

"Yes," I admitted. "I like him. I like him a lot. A whole lot. I've never felt this way about anyone before. He is the first person who has ever made me feel like that. Oh my god, is he my mate?"

"No, Deidre," she answered, crushing my heart just like that. "He is not your mate, nor will he ever be."

"How do you know that? You haven't even met him nor seen us together? So how could you possibly know that? I mean there is this huge connection between us, I can feel it."

Mother blew out a breath, continuing to drive. "Because, sweetie, people like you don't get mates."

I was absolutely baffled, not understanding her. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Deidre, I love you, but you have got to understand that people like you don't get mates. I have told you this before and I will tell you again that only special people get mates. And honey, I'm sorry but you're not special. You're not even the least bit special."

Confidence killed, just like that.

"But what about the connection between us, that must mean something? I just... I feel so alive with him, so secure, so myself. I feel like I can do anything with him and I know he can feel it too. I've seen it in his eyes. I know he cares about me."

"You said that he is the Alpha's son, correct?"

I nodded instantly. "Yes. But Thomas doesn't even act like he is royalty with the stunts he pulls, the way he acts. I honestly doubt he even wants to become the future alpha. And one time he told me that he doesn't even care about some title. He told me that he has never wanted that kind of power."

"It doesn't matter if he wants to be one or not. The fact is that he is and nothing will ever change that. And I'm sorry to tell you this, but every single leader is the same."