December 26

//I wanted to write more, but brain didn't cooperate. I've been sitting on this for a few days and finally just gave up.  HERE YOU GO, WORDS.

I went with Thaddeus to the airport about midday, wishing him safe journey. I'd had to go home and get more food for Chelise, but I came back to his apartment to stay with him while he packed. He did not seem to mind my desire to be with him even during the simplest things. Sometimes he asked me questions, but I mostly sat on the edge of his bed in silence as he ruffled around his bedroom. When he walked out to get something out of the living room, I slipped something into his suitcase, under his clothes. It was highly likely he would think it was a silly gesture, a foolish and illogical thing to do, but my intuition told me it was the right thing to do, and it was very rarely wrong.

We did not talk for a couple days, as both of us were busy. Thaddeus was extremely busy with the conference, as he had a presentation he had to do on Andino Incorporated's current business plans and future aspirations. It was late at night for him the first time I actually heard from him. Even though he did not intentionally voice it, I could hear the stress in his voice. Not only the stress but the tiredness, as well. I wished I could hug him, but in his current mental state, part of me doubted he would readily accept one. He was focused on his task at hand. I listened to the rough draft of his presentation and gave a couple suggestions, but I held back somewhat, as I recognized this was his job, his vision, and his moment to impress everyone at the convention in Venice.

"What do you actually want to say?" he asked.

"What?"

"You're not telling me something," Thaddeus said.

I did not respond.

"You are entitled to your opinion, which I respect and value."

"But it does mean you have to agree." I smiled.

"Indeed."

"May I be frank?"

"Speak freely, Lily," Thaddeus said.

"It was boring. Very informative, but if you keep your voice so even and flat, you're going to put attendants asleep. Less facts, more personal testimony. More examples. Those, in my opinion, will speak more. People aren't going to know what all the figures mean. You need to add some flavor. Personality."

"Personality," he repeated.

"Don't seem so enthused," I said with single laugh.

"I've never incorporated anything like that previously."

"Well, maybe it's time to change that."

He snorted.

"How have you been outside of the conference?" I asked.

"I'm not skipping as many meals as I usually would, if that's to what you're referring."

"Jetlag been killer?"

"No, I'm used to it by now."

"That's good," I said. "Your VP hasn't done anything ridiculous yet while you've been gone, so be proud."

"Ms. Marino's been sending me emails and scheduling me for ludicrous meetings."

"Such as?" I raised a brow, my voice becoming as dry as the Sahara Desert during the summer.

"New marketing projects. A drinkable yogurt manufacturer. A Christmas ornament producer."

"I don't like that woman," I said. "I think she'd eat you alive if she could get your hands on you."