Chapter 15

The arrow landed directly in the center of the target, earning a few cheers from my aunt and uncle. Killian seemed overly excited that there was finally someone who might be able to put Kara and her mother in place.
Kara finally got herself together and was able to hook the arrow onto her bow. Only she hooked it backwards. Genevieve made an attempt to correct her but Killian pretended to cough and shook his head no once she looked over to him.

"You are horrible," I said lowly.

"Hush I want to see this." He said.

I rolled my eyes and directed my attention back to the match. Kara pulled her bowstring forward, releasing it so that it would fly behind her and into the hedge. Ultimately, scaring herself.
I tried to hold back my laughter as best as I could, but Killian nearly ended up on the floor cackling like a blackbird. Genevieve seemed to be more confused if anything.

"Target's the other direction, aye?" She said to the embarrassed girl.

"I'm well aware of that, it was just a joke." Kara attempted to defend herself.

"Alright girls, let us not get ahead of ourselves. Continue please." My uncle called out, trying to hold back his laughter as well.

     The match continued as Genevieve shot another perfect arrow into the center of her target. I watched as she turned her attention to her opponent. Kara stood there, cocky yet dumbfounded. She pulled her bow back correctly this time and managed to hit the target. The wrong one.

     "Keep your arrows on your own target, won't ya?" Genevieve fussed.

     Always been a sassy one. Meanwhile, Killian still has recovered from his laughing fit and resorted to sitting on the ground. He began giggling again at Kara's lack of archery knowledge.

     "It's not like it matters. A target's a target." Kara responded.

     "Aye, until you become one," Genevieve said to her.

     "Genevieve," I called at her, "hold that tongue of yours."

     The last thing I needed was for her to start a whole war over her lack of filter. Yes, Kara is annoying, but her mother isn't the type to cross. She'd start a war over anything.

     "Keeping your lady in check, huh?" Killian said looking up to me.

     "Yeah, why don't you keep yours?" I rolled my eyes at him.

     Genevieve pulled her bow back one last time, sending an arrow slicing through the air again. Shock fluttered over us all as the arrow went right down the center of one of her previous ones, tearing it in two. Her surprise trick earned her a round of applause from the king and queen. Killian also began clapping as he stood up to get a better look at what she had done. I knew she was good, but nothing could've prepared me for that. I was stunned, to say the least.

     "Well, it looks like we have our winner," my uncle stated.

     "But I haven't finished!" Kara whined.

     "It doesn't matter, there's nothing you can do that would beat what Genevieve just did," Killian said.

     Genevieve walked over to Killian and me, looking satisfied with herself. She went to wrap her arm around me but immediately pushed her off. Killian was the only one who noticed, due to his parents having to endure Kara's mother's reassurances about her daughter's skills.

     "I'm going save this," Genevieve said motioning to her bow. "I'll meet you in front of the castle in about ten minutes."

     I ignored her completely. She turned and walked off, leaving me with Killian.

     "Let's take a walk, shall we?" Killian said to me, leading me off into the courtyard.

     I knew exactly what he was going to say to me, but I allowed him to lead me off anyways. I followed as we entered the garden area. Different colored flowers were gathered together.

     "Alright, what's going on?" He asked me.

     "Gosh, where do I begin?" I asked, there was so much I could tell him.

     "How about you start with Genevieve. Clearly, you two don't fit the overjoyed newlywed persona." He admitted.

     "Well first off, I didn't want to marry her. Maribella and her parents wanted to form an alliance."

     "Yeah I got that part, but do you know why?"  He asked.

     "No, other than there being rumor of a war starting between us and the southern regions," I answered.

     "What's the plan there?" He asked.

     "There isn't one, just waiting it out. Belle's orders." I said.

     "Wow. Belle and her great ideas." He said sarcastically. "What about Genevieve? You two seemed fine yesterday besides some awkward tension. It seems worse today. I didn't expect you to really push her off like that in front of everyone."

     "No one saw except you." I corrected him.

     "Still anyone could've seen. Clearly, there's something going on, but you don't want to start any rumors." He said.

     He was right. As much as I despised her right now, Belle would kill me if she found out rumors we spreading due to my feeling towards Genevieve. Wow, it's like I'm not even allowed to be upset with her or everyone gets mad at me.

     "Yeah," I mumbled.

     "What's going on cus?" He looked at me seriously.

     "A lot of things. I found out some things last night that turn my whole marriage upside down. Not that it was even close to perfect, to begin with. There's a war coming and Belle isn't doing anything about it. All she cares about is my relationship with Genevieve. As for Genevieve everything just keeps getting worse and worse and I feel like everyone is hiding things from me. I'm still having nightmares about my parents. Everyone is expecting so much from me and I don't even know what to do anymore Killian!" I cried as he wrapped his arms around me.

     "Calm down, Alessandra," He told me. "Have you tried talking to Maxwell?"

     "Maxwell seems to be the only person who's listening to me lately but even he is being told by Belle to let me figure things out on my own," I admitted.

     "Okay, here's what's going to happen. You are going to go home today, but I'll come with you. I'll come to stay for the time being until the rumors blow over and things are settled again, that way you don't feel completely alone." He offered.

     "You'd do that?" I asked. "Your parents would let?"

     "I'm sure if it," He said. "I'll just say I'm coming to help you with the gala preparations."

     "Thanks, Killian," I said hugging him. "You truly don't understand how much this means to me."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Sorry for chapters being late. As you might have seen on my wall (I did end up taking it down for nonchalant reasons) I did mention how February was an incredibly busy month for me so to a convention I had to attend as well as school and everyone in the house catching the flu. Good news is that everyone is healthy again. Mostly at least. More chapters will be uploaded during this month for March. I am also releasing the first five chapters of another book of mine called Good Morning Mallory. Feel free to check it out and please consider voting on all chapters! Voting means a great deal to authors because it lets us know you actually liked that chapter!