Chapter 18 Winter Gala pt.1

"Alessandra, pay attention!" Belle's loud voice invaded my ears. "I told you those flowers belong on the tables in the ballroom five minutes ago. We don't have any time to waste before tonight!"

I snapped out of the dazed state I was in. We've been up all morning preparing for the gala tonight. Decorating and conformation calling. I was already over tonight. Dancing and relaxing was not on my mind right now. My head was still flooded with questions.
I walked over to place the flower arrangement of pink roses on one of the glass tables. Looking around I realized this place is actually coming together nicely. If only my life could do that.

     "Aless?" I heard my name being called.

     I looked over my shoulder to see Genevieve walking towards me. After our talk, we've been making it an attempt to keep things between us as civil as possible.

     "Hey, can we talk for a moment?" She asked me.

     "Fine. Make it quick, I don't want to make Belle angry," I said and followed her into the empty hall.

     We walked down a ways before she stopped us. Her request had now left me extremely curious. What did she want to talk about?

     "Do you remember the shadows from our honeymoon?" She asked.

     "Yes, why?" I asked, kinda annoyed that this conversation wasn't about something else.

     "Well, Dealia mentioned to me that she's been seeing them too, only here and..."

"Genevieve, seriously? The two of you have gone mad. That's all. You are stressing out for all the wrong reasons," I said and began to walk away. "Look, I really don't have time for this."

Unsurprisingly, she grabbed my wrist and pulled me back towards her.

"Alessandra, please listen to me for once!" She pleaded. "Something is wrong!"

"Look at me," I said as I used my hand to lift her chin. "You need to relax."

She sighed deeply and invited herself into my arms. I'm not very good at comforting people so this was a bit awkward for me. It's like I need to keep reminding myself that this is Vivi I'm holding. My Vivi.

"As much as I adore that the two of you are getting along, there is still work that needs to be done. Let's get a move on girls!" Maribella called from down the hall.

     I look back at Genevieve again before letting her go. Seeing her stressed like this did worry me in some way. There will always be that unwanted case of paranoia whispering "What if she's right?" in the back of my head. For now, those whispers needed to be silenced. I still have a long day ahead of me. The gala won't put itself on.

And now for the moment you've all been waiting for

Genevieve's point of view

As much as I may enjoy getting my hair pulled, the tight pain in my scalp was becoming excessive. I adore Adeline, but can't a girl catch a break? And though I share a good bit of common interest with Aleah, the woman has been talking my head off all afternoon.

"Ouu, I'm about to look big fine," she said admiring herself in the mirror. "Bout to pull me a prince or two tonight!"

"Good grief," Adeline whispered in my ear as she fixed my hair.

I looked over to see Alessandra curled up on the futon reading her book. Her hair still tossed and messy from waking up early this morning. To her, she was comfortable. To me, she was stunning.