Chapter 17

"Hold still!" Adeline pestered me.

     Maribella had scheduled an early morning fitting for me, Genevieve, and the twins. She has been nagging at us for the past week and a half about how much of a big deal appearance was and such. She was beginning to sound like her mother, but I wasn't about to tell her that. Sure my life was a bit twisted at the moment, but I don't fancy the idea of being murdered before I hit age twenty-five.

"How much longer will this take?" I asked, annoyed.

"Move again and I will prick you on purpose with this needle," Adeline warned me.

     This was getting ridiculous. Surely there would be an easier way to tailor a dress other than drowning someone in red fabric and poking them with sewing needles.

     "Guess who's back, back, back again!"

     The door swung open, nearly breaking off its hinges. Aleah strutted in happily, that's before Belle began to fuss at her.

     "Aleah, dear, could you make your grand appearance a little less grand next time?" Maribella scolded her.

"Ugh, fine!" Aleah groaned. "So, Aless, why are you wearing a curtain?"

The twins started laughing at Aleah's rather unwanted comment.

"It's a dress," I said.

"Um, no, that's a curtain," Aleah argued. "Tell me best friend, how has life been? How's the Mrs.?"

     "I'm right here, Aleah," Genevieve spoke from behind her.

     "Hey, girl! You've been keeping up with The Real Housewives of Capri Island?" Aleah said turning around.

"Girls, we have no time for gossip. The gala is this weekend! We need to make sure absolutely everything is prepared. Aleah, join me in the kitchen dear. I need your help with the caterers," Maribella stated.

"Oh, why me?" Aleah whined as Belle led her out of the room.

Five more minutes of pins and needles go by before I freed from Adeline's torture. I do love the idea of a new gown however, I get incredibly ADHD. Standing still is not one of my best abilities nor do I intend on making it one.
     I took a seat beside Genevieve, not like I really had elsewhere too. I suppose I could leave but I was curious to see if she would be better at putting up with Adeline's quick demands than I was. Why walk away when I can witness displeasure from someone whose caused me so much of it? Oh don't be surprised, you really thought I was over this whole ordeal?
Absolutely not! Instead of suffocating myself with emotion, however, I've decided to block it all out completely. That goes for the good and the bad. I'll bring my walls down once everyone decides to quit hiding shit from me.
     I watched as the beautiful woman before me was pushed up onto a pedestal. Rich dark blue fabric was cascaded down her body. Lovely color on her, too bad I can't stand her at the moment. I truly do wish this all would pass over, but that won't happen until I get answers.

Later that day, I was sitting in the library reading my book. Like always, I can't get a moment alone. I felt ice cold hands trace their way across my shoulders. I didn't bother looking up, I knew exactly who it was.

"Almost done I see. How are you liking it?" Genevieve asked me.

"More than I like you at the moment," I said coldly.

"Aless, I thought we agreed we would be civil with one another," she expressed rather disappointedly.

"Oh, I'm fine with being civil. I never agreed that I had to like you though," I said matter-of-factly.