Chapter 2

I race down the halls hoping to get rid of the guy. I turn around to see him racing after me. Everyone is looking at us and the girls attack the stranger. The girls always miss, but one of them actually knocks him down and the rest of the girls follow. I run out of school and I don't plan on stopping.

I quickly run back to my home and sit down trying to catch my breath. After I catch my breath I feel extremely tired so I take a nap.

I am sitting in the basement as I receive another beating from my sister. She keeps calling me names that I've already accepted as true. After she finishes I am left with a black eye, blue-purple bruises up and down my arms and legs, and I have a dark bruised stomach where she repeatedly kicked me. I crawl to my bed and find out the most comfortable position for me is on back. I already know I'm not gonna recover quickly. These people were kind enough to give me a bed that basically feels like I'm sleeping on a pile of bricks. These awful people let me sleep on the floor for years before getting me a bed to avoid hypothermia during the cold winter on the concrete floor. Wonderful right? Wrong. Unless I am to tired, I am better at sleeping at the floor. I slowly lose consciousness as I feel myself weaken from the outside in.

I startle awake and jump out of my comfortable spot. I see Katherine, a nice 30 year old street liver like me. She looks at me and has a small bowl of soup in her hands and it looks like its clam chowder. She says "Child you should eat. Don't just sit there. Eat"

She tries to hand me the bowl, but I decline. I can't take that from her. She needs it more than I do. She is a full grown woman that needs her strength, at least I have the option of eating at the school, if I have the money for it. It's a simple answer, I don't eat. I replied "I can't. You need it more. Please eat you know how guilty I feel when you don't eat."

She smile and says "At least eat some with me." I sigh knowing that I won't be able to win this argument. We both eat a fairness amount of the soup until we finish. We both sit around for a while until I finally couldn't take it anymore. I exploded and told her everything. She listened closely and when I finished she gave me a small smile then hugged me.

I love to have hugs. They are so nice and welcoming that I can't help, but hug her back. She smiles again and then leaves. That's the thing about our friendship. We know one day we won't be there so we come and go as we please.

I sigh again and fall asleep early so I can use the showers at school before it starts in the morning so I won't smell. I would rather students not have more ammo to fire at me with. Sweet dreams, yeah right.