3.2

Lee watches anxiously through the clear plexiglass as Daisy's vocal cords are operated on. Despite Dr. Emerson's clear expertise and caution, she can't help but worry for the girl. This procedure could completely change her life—for better or worse.

The doctor almost regrets even bringing the option up. Of course she wants for Daisy to have the opportunity to speak, but the possible negative consequences have the woman quaking with guilt and stress.

Maybe Jim can calm me down, Lee contemplates.

Breathing shakily, she pulls her phone from her pocket and dials her boyfriend's number. As she listens to the ringing, she nervously glances at Daisy and away again. Come on, Jim, pick up pick up pick up.

Meanwhile, Jim's phone sits vibrating in his pocket as he drives frantically to the scene of the next Maniax attack. It seems their theory about Jerome "working" and the next parts of the scheme lining up is true.

The detective ignores most driving laws as he speeds down the streets, swerving in and out of traffic, lights and sirens blaring. A pod of other squad cars follows further behind him.

Determined, Jim grits his teeth and presses his foot harder down on the gas pedal. I have to reach the Maniax and stop them before they can kill or maim anyone else. We can't let them get away this time.

Suddenly, Detective Gordon spots a school bus blocking the road ahead, and his tires squeal to a halt as he sees the missing oil truck right alongside of it. There seems to be some sort of commotion on the bus of cheerleaders, and Jim snarls when he sees the red headed menace at the root of it.

Jerome and some other escaped convicts exit the bus and stand their ground, firing at Jim and his car. The other squad cars roll in, the officers piling out and squatting to fire from behind their open doors. Recognizing the purpose of the discarded oil hose, the detective's eyes widen and he waves his hand frantically at the other officers.

"Hold your fire!" Jim orders them.

Slowly, the policemen stand down, though they keep their firearms at the ready.

"Jimbo! So nice of you to finally make it!" Jerome cackles, shooting wildly at the police.

Jim ducks down further behind his door for cover. Gun empty, Jerome harrumphs and throws it to the side before beginning to run back to the oil truck. Seeing this, Detective Gordon darts out from his cover and runs towards the inmate trying to light the oil trail. As he goes to tackle the inmate, a single daisy falls loose from his person, possibly caught in the folds of his suit or the grooves of his shoes.

Jerome freezes mid-laugh at the sight, narrowing his eyes. He begins to feel paranoid at a token of his love in the possession of the officer. The ginger can't help but wonder where the man may have got it from, thinking of all the daisies growing outside the cottage.

It's entirely possible that the man just went for a stroll in the woods or the park or something, but really, in the middle of such an intense, high-stakes case? No, and even if he was, he could have stumbled upon Daisy in the woods just as easily. The seed is planted and there is no removing it. Not just someone, but the police—his enemies—could have his precious flower.

Ignoring the man he'll be leaving behind, Jerome bangs on the side of the truck, managing to laugh at the various facial expressions he sees, all the while panicking internally.

She could be hurt, or arrested, or dead for all I know. Even if they just told her who I am, it will ruin everything. If they find out who she is to me, there's no telling what they'll do. My princess is in danger. I never should have left her.

Hopelessly clinging to the fact that Daisy could still be home, oblivious and safe, Jerome attempts to mask his mounting fear until such time that he can make his way back home.

Screw shopping. We got the job done early so I'm heading straight back there to figure out what's going on after all this.

Daisy, where are you?

—————————————————————
A/N
Back again! Sorry it's so short, and for the no update last week. I've been sick for going on two weeks now, and I don't seem to be getting much better despite the many medicines I'm taking. Hopefully it all clears up soon because I have so many exams this week! I hope you guys can understand my absence and that you're still enjoying my content. Wish you guys all the best!
Gingy