4.9

"Leave Gotham?" Jerome repeats, puzzled.

"Yes, why not? There's nothing left for either of us here," Daisy replies. "We have all we need in each other. We bring only what we can carry and start a new life somewhere else far away from Gotham."

Jerome considers this a moment. It's true that all he really cares about is Daisy. Even his issues of bloodlust have faded to the background. It would be easy enough to pack up and leave everything behind. They could take the stashed car for a while, maybe trade it in somewhere, and settle down in a small town in the middle of nowhere. They would struggle for a time, sure, but between the two of them surely they would be able to make a new life for themselves.

"But we need to go now," Daisy interjects his thoughts. "Before they realize we've gone. We need to put as much distance between us and them as possible before they start coming after us."

"You're right. Start packing up what you'll need. I'll get some other essentials gathered. I have some cash but not enough to keep us going for very long so we'll need enough to get us a good start," Jerome agrees, sitting up in bed.

The pair quickly separate and start throwing bags together. Both have had some experience in their lives in needing to pack up and leave from their homes, so it is rather easy work. The two occasionally check in with each other about what the other has packed and what still needs to be gotten.

"What if Galavan or the GCPD have people watching for you or me in Gotham?" Daisy asks suddenly as she throws some toiletries in her bag. "You have pissed both of them off pretty bad, and Galavan's ploy to get you back on his radar shows he already suspects you'll run."

"There's not much we can do about it. We can try to hide our identifiable features like hair and keep to the law within the city limits, but other than that we'll just have to hope we're not caught," he replies resignedly.

"I wonder if Lee would help us. Or me, if she didn't think you were involved," she mumbles.

"What? You realize your new bestie is dating the most hard ass cop at the GCPD, right? The one that totally hates my guts?" Jerome scoffs. "Besides, even if you tried to play it off as just you, she wouldn't believe you. Sorry, princess, but you're not a very good liar.

Even if she did believe you somehow escaped, she would insist on taking you in, not you running off to go who knows where. And then later when I disappear they would be clued in that we were on the run, what vehicle we had, and in which direction we were traveling. With street cameras, it would be all too easy to find us."

"I guess you're right. I don't even know what she could do to help. It's not like she could call off the police or Galavan's people," Daisy sighs.

Jerome freezes as an idea strikes him. "Say that again, Daisy."

"What? She couldn't call off the police or Galavan's people," she repeats, confused.

"No, she couldn't call them off on looking for us, but she could send them looking somewhere else—where Galavan is. If we can get ahold of Lee, and you tell her you've found a phone and that you overheard me talking about Galavan and his plans, she would tell Jim..."

"...And the GCPD would rush his penthouse looking for me, thereby distracting both parties!" Daisy finishes. "You're a genius! So with the GCPD and the Galavans wrapped up in each other, we slip out of the city undetected."

"And get a little revenge on the Galavans in the process," Jerome adds, smirking. "You can call her on the burner and we'll leave it here when we go. If the GCPD manages to unravel all of this and finds their way here, it could be used as evidence."