free time

It was finally time for the last period of the day. French. And Mr. Melrose had the decency to not make a final because the class is an elective and he knew we would already be stressed from our other classes.

"So, you and River are going to Los Angeles? For how long?" Rowan whispered.
"Just the first week of break, we'll be back Christmas Eve afternoon."

Once the bell rang we all went to our usual seats and settled down. Looking to my left, I noticed River wasn't in his usual seat.

That's weird.

"So, River told me about your trip to L.A."

I looked in the other direction to see Rider sitting in the seat beside me. I nodded, but was still visibly distracted.

"He's in the hallway with Quinn if you're wondering."

"Oh, ok." I figured it was normal. Quinn was also on an art pathway, so it made sense.

River walked in with Quinn close behind and walked towards Mr. Melrose. They had a conversation in low whispers before walking in our direction.

"I'm not staying, but I'll be in the parking lot to pick you and Romeo up," River stated before kissing my forehead.

I nodded and Rider spoke up, "Where you two going?"
"Well, our art teacher wants us to help her with some project she has going," Quinn responded.
"Good luck," I said and with that they were out as quickly as they entered.

The rest of the class period dragged along. We mainly just talked about random topics such as our future trip.

***

As soon as I walked outside, River and Romeo were already in the parking lot. Hailey was also there along with a couple of theatre kids. As I got closer their conversation became more clear.

"You could ask Quinn to help with decorations, though." River suggested.
"You're lucky. I'd love to go to a hotter area during the holidays," Hailey stated, "But congratulations and thanks."

He nodded before Hailey walked off with the small group leaving River and Romeo as they finally noticed my arrival.

"I can't believe you're leaving me with mom and dad for a week."
"You'll be fine."
"That's what you think. I expect an autograph from someone as an apology. It has to be written out to me."

I shook my head, laughing, "Sure thing."
He nodded his head before getting in the car, but River stayed leaning against the passenger door. He didn't say anything as he stared at me.

"You okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine." He seemed off, giving me a tight hug and a kiss on the forehead before opening my door. I decided not to budge, he'd tell me when he was ready.

***

Later that night I was up watching Netflix with a cup of hot chocolate and a bag of Flipz pretzels in hand. My parents were out on a surprise date my dad set up and Romeo was fast asleep, so the house was pretty quiet and I had a lot of free time.

I checked the clock on my wall. 8:58.

I should call River and ask if he wants to come over.

Pausing the TV, I called him. It usually only rang once or twice before he answered but after waiting impatiently it went to an automated voicemail.

He's probably busy.

So instead I continued watching alone. I would ask Rowan or Emma to come over but I knew they were both with Rider and Alex.

After about five more minutes I started to slowly drift into a deep sleep.

I can't believe I'm at 3k reads and yall are so sweet I can't😔Thank you so much
This chapter is more of a filler but it's also going to tie into the story for their first week of Christmas break which will start in River's POV in the next chapter👀
Again thank you so much and I love you all🤎

Also, Question: What do you guys think is going on with "golden boy"?