complicated

Grabbing a water bottle, I sat him down in an empty room that seemed to be a library. I nearly had to force him to drink it seeing how out of it he was.

Cleaning his chest off with the paper towel, I glanced at him as he watched me in silence. When I was done I leaned against the table.

River's hand traced along the hem of my dress, "This dress is something else on you."

I couldn't even focus on what he was saying because I was still in shock at his state.

"Why'd you go into the keg contest?"
"Victor brought me over and I thought it might be fun."
"But did you have to beat his record? That's a lot, especially for you."
"I'm not a child, I can handle it."

"Clearly not," I mumbled.
"I'm fine, Lia."
"I should take you home. Are your parents there?"
"Nope, they went to a party."
"Who'd you come with?"
"Rider."
"Okay I'm gonna go find Romeo," I began walking out before turning around, "Don't move."

He nodded before resting his head on the table. Walking out, I looked around for my brother. I knew why he was acting like this, but questioning him while drunk would only make it worse.

I was stopped by Rowan who looked concerned, "Victor told me what happened, are you okay?"
"Have you seen Romeo?"
"I'm right here."

He walked up next to Rowan, "We were just playing beer pong. Obviously my team drank for me though."
"Where's River?" Rowan asked.
"The library. I have to take him home."

"Well you go, I'll watch Romeo and bring him over to River's house when you're done."
"Okay thanks," I hugged her and said bye to Romeo before grabbing River and heading to my car.

***

After about ten minutes of River commenting on my clothing and how we could've stayed at the party, he finally fell asleep. Finally being able to relax, I sighed and sat down on his bed.

I was looking forward to having New Years with him, but I'd rather have him safe obviously.

"Lia?"
My eyes widened at the sound of the familiar voice. Turning my head slowly I saw River's parents at the door. Salani walked further in while putting her curls in a ponytail, "Is he drunk?"

"Well uh-."
"It reeks of alcohol," Amani added, "What happened?"
I figured there was no point in lying so I told them the situation and to my surprise they seemed calm.

"I knew we should've just taken him with us after today."
I looked at her with a confused expression as she continued, "Michelle came by today with a late Christmas gift along with someone. Apparently, River has a younger sister. She's seven."

My eyes widened at the new information. A sister.

"He felt like she was using that as a way to get him to talk to her," Amani said, "Which would obviously work. You should've seen her. She was so happy to see him."

As messed up as it was, Michelle seemed to be clever. I could imagine how hard it would be to turn her down again with an eager child right there.

"Isabelle, the little girl, hugged River as soon as he came in. She said Michelle told her about him and she was so happy to have an older brother," Salani said, "I hate that she brought that poor baby into this mess."

"I agree," I sighed, "How did River take it?"
"He just looked shocked. Obviously he didn't react the way the first time he saw Michelle because of Isabelle. He just listened to her talk the whole time before they left."

Well this just got 10x more complicated.

***

After talking to his parents I drove back to Sydney's house where the party was still occurring. There was only ten more minutes until the New Year as I walked in.

All of my friends along with Romeo were playing beer pong in the living room. Everyone cheered as Romeo kept getting the balls in the cups. I walked up to the group and Rowan quickly walked towards me.

"Is everything good?"
"Yeah, his parents are there."
She nodded, "Well I know the first part was pretty shitty, but we still have ten minutes before the New Year. Mind as well make it count."

I smiled before joining in on the game. I was still worried about River but there wasn't much I could do, and his parents were home anyways.

I had to admit though, Romeo was pretty good at beer pong. He seemed to be liking the attention it was giving him too.

After a couple of rounds, Sydney had everyone come into the living room or surround it for the countdown. Now this is where it go awkward as I looked around the room.

Rider was with Rowan.

Alex was with Emma.

Romeo's with...Hailey. Props to him.

All in all, everyone seemed to be paired. I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder and turned to see Victor with a piece of cake in his hand.

I smiled, "You couldn't find a random girl I'm guessing?"
"Turns out everyone is taken or too young," he laughed.

He passed me a fork as the countdown began and the room filled with voices shouting out.

10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1
HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

Victor and I took a bit of the cake as everyone else indulged in a make-out fest. Rowan ran over pulling us into a group hug, "Happy New Years, my loves!"

"You're a better person when you act preppy," Victor stated.
"You love me regardless," Rowan shrugged as the rest of the group joined.

Romeo walked over, "Well now what?"
"Where's your little girlfriend?" Rowan teased.
"Very funny. She went home with her sister."
"Well I'm ready to go," I stated before taking another piece of Victor's cake, "I'll see you all at school. Happy New Years."

After they all said goodbye, Romeo and I left and drove back home. Telling our parents, more so our mother, about our sibling bonding.

THREE HOURS AFTER THE LAST? PERIODT

I'm sorry I'm just really proud of myself but anyways yall see how Michelle just dropped a baby on our boy like that? PATHETIC💀 Kinda feel bad Lia didn't get a New Years kiss but at least Romeo got some😭