waves

I eased up as River continued to talk, his lips profusely close to my ear. "And I mean it. I've never felt what I feel for you for anyone else. All I can ever think about is you. And us, being together, feels surreal."

"Why? Does it feel surreal, I mean."
"Because you're too perfect for me."
I smiled, looking down at his hands as I fiddled with them on my waist, "That's what I think about you. You deserve more than you know, River."

He turned me towards him and rested his head on mine, his blue eyes wandering around my face. "How much?"
"What are you playing at here," I asked trying to hide my laugh with a confused expression.

"Who said I was playing at anything? I'm just asking a question." He had the same usual innocence on his face as his hands travel below my waist and pick me up.

"Don't you want to explore?" I asked.
He smiled, "I'm trying."
"River! I meant the city." I playfully slapped his arm as he laughed.
"Fine, fine." His lips met mine for what felt only of a second before he put me down, "Where to, my love?"

I laughed at his use of words, "How about the boardwalk?"

***

The waves of the ocean were audible even through the loud music and seagulls. Children were skipping along, ice cream in hand as their parents recorded the small memories. And groups of friends walked together, laughing without a care in the world.

River was seated at one of the game stations, hitting bottles with baseballs determined to get a prize for me. Once he hit the last bottle, the small crowd of parents and children clapped before he handed me a yellow care bear.

"Aw, thank you. Looks like I'll be starting a collection again."
He smiled before taking my hand in his, "How many care bears even are there?"
I shrugged, "There's like ten originals, but there's more along with the cousins-."

I stopped in my tracks once I noticed the stand with a large Work of Heart care bear hanging from the post. It was the only one left, the game being a horseshoe toss.

River noticed before bringing us in the direction of the game, "I'm going to admit right now that I'm terrible at this game."
I smiled with a shrug, "It's cool, let's-."

Before I could object, he pulled me in front of him, "I'm going to get that bear, Lia."
"Whatever you say, Riv."

***

It had already been 2 hours spent at the game as he continued to try for the bear. Although he was annoyed and I continuously said it was fine, he kept going and I couldn't help but laugh at his frustration.

"River, for the last time it's fine," I laughed. I was surprised on how he was still going without a single worry on how much money he had spent on trying to get the one bear.

"I'm getting that bear," he mumbled, still highly concentrated on the game.
"You're obsessed."

As if on cue, the last horseshoe fell onto the pole. River slumped down in his seat as I took the bear from the man. I lifted his face as he continued to sit in the chair, "WE WON!"

He lifted his eyebrow before laughing, "I'm sorry, we?"
I nodded, "This all wouldn't be possible without my undying support for carebears...oh and you."
"Ouch."
"The truth hurts, sunshine," I grabbed his arms in attempt to lift him but he wouldn't budge, "River c'mon. It's already late but I still want to go to the beach."

***

The beach was deserted in the spot we picked, everyone else was farther down as the sun began to set.

I had my back against River's chest with his arms wrapped tightly around my waist and both of our eyes watching the skies of orange and purple.

The ocean was calming, its waves crashing slightly as the night went on.

"Lia?"
I hummed in acknowledgment, focusing on his voice.
"Why did you talk to me that day? When you invited me to your party."
I thought about my answer before replying and turned sideways, placing my legs over his to look at him.

"Well, you've always seemed interesting, you just never talked. And then I thought about it. We've been going to school together since the third grade, and not once had we had an actual conversation that wasn't made up of one word replies. I wanted to actually get to know you. And I realized if I wanted that, it was a 'now or never' situation because it is our last year here. Why just continue with half ass 'hi's' when we could be closer?"

He stayed quiet for a while, staring directly into my eyes as he rested his forehead on mine.

He sighed before speaking in a low whisper, "You don't know how much I appreciate you."
"And you have no idea how glad I am I talked to you."

I leaned in closer, sitting up until my lips met his, instantly melting away any outside distractions. My hands reached around his neck as he moved me until I was on his lap.

His hands slowly traced down my back, falling to my waist as I was pulled closer. Our breaths became shorter with each kiss, until he finally pulled away, "Let's go back to the hotel."