꧁03꧂

I WAS NUMB as the train sped through our district

I WAS NUMB as the train sped through our district. We were on our way to the capitol to begin the training and the interviews. The worst part about The Hunger Games wasn't the actual killing, it was the interviews, extravagant makeup looks, and elegant gowns. It was so fake. Everyone pretended they were happy, and beautiful, as if there wasn't a 23/24 chance they would die in the next few weeks when the games began.

Riffian and I sat on one side of the fancy white table that had big white chairs. Bee sat in front of us, her eyes staring at us intensely. I think she could feel the tension between us, and I could, too. I wanted to kill Riffian in that moment. Riffian looked at me, noticing my glare, "Can you stop staring like that?"

"You're stupidity is unreal," I let out a breathy laugh as I picked up a croissant off the white plate and threw it against his head. He flinched and grabbed the croissant and placed it back on the plate, staring at me with confusion, "Do you realize what you've done? One of us is gonna die in there, Riff!"

"I wasn't gonna let you go in by yourself," he shook his head while taking a bite out of the croissant I threw at him. He spoke with a mouth full of croissant, "Let's be real, Ameria, you're not gonna have any allies. You'll need protection. And you're gonna live, I'll make sure of it! But you won't be able to live if—

"Fuck living," I yelled, grabbing the croissant from his hand and throwing it on the floor. I felt furious that he volunteered... He wasn't thinking this through, "Do you understand that I have no one? If you die, and I live, what the hell will I have? My brother is gone. You'll be dead. Bee's in the capitol all the time. Mom and dad hate me—"

"You'll be alive," he ignored everything I had just said, "You'll be grateful for that."

"I don't wanna be in a world that you're not in," I shook my head in anger. I wasn't the cheesy type, but I wasn't even trying to be cheesy or flatter him with my love. I meant what I said with anger, "How am I gonna be grateful if I have no one."

He gulped and just rested in his chair. I could tell he had no response by the way he stared at me, searching for an answer, "Well, it's too late to change my decision."

I put my head in my hand and rubbed my temples in hopes of calming down. I wanted to slap him, but I instead just awaited his words. Bee began spoking instead, "Sorry to interrupt, but— You guys— This Hunger Games is much more serious than the ones you have played in. Ameria, you will need allies, and Riffian being your only one is better than nothing."

I sighed and just shook my head some more. I refused to believe that only one of us would make it out alive. I refused to let it happen. Bee gulped and continued her words, "This isn't just a bunch of inexperienced minors... There are adults who have succeeded in the games. The competition is great. What you played years ago was easy compared to what these games will hold for you."