꧁08꧂

I FELT NERVOUS as they called up to tributes for the individual assessment

I FELT NERVOUS as they called up to tributes for the individual assessment. It felt objectifying in that room, from what I remembered. You show off your skills, and the gamemakers just stare at you or ignore you and eat their food. They eat delicious, huge meals no one in the districts has ever had while we work and fight.

Everyone was whispering to each other in the small benches we sat on. My head was on Riffian's shoulder as he used his other arm to practice wrist movements for his sword. I had practiced with my knives everyday since the games ended, but Riffian rarely used a sword anymore... He had to reteach himself.

One of his amazing techniques was healing. He was always the best at helping when I was sick... I didn't know him during his games, but he was infamous for losing multiple toes and walking like nothing happened the next morning. He was unreal and talented, although staring at his missing toes was disgusting.

I looked down at my long fingernails that I needed to trim. I put my left thumb into my thumb and started biting my nail off, "Nail biting is bad for you... You should know better, Gold."

I removed my thumb from my mouth and looked up to see Finnick and his cocky grin. He was sitting in front of us, but he turned his body around to face me. Mags sat where she was and didn't turn with him. I glared at him and stuck my fingernail back between my teeth, "I'm sorry I said his name."

"Just don't do it again," I carelessly noted. Riffian looked over at Finnick and I momentarily and then continued his hand movements.

Finnick looked around shamefully, "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize," I shrugged, picking at my nails with my fingers instead, "We aren't friends, you don't need to look after me."

Finnick closed his mouth and stuck his tongue on the side of his cheek. I could see the bump his tongue was popping out from outside his cheek. He sighed and put his elbows on his knees and leaned forward slightly, "I consider us friends."

"No, you consider me as part of your trade to protect Mags," Mags turned around slightly at my words, as Riff widened his eyes at Finnick.

"You told her?" Riffian asked, as Finnick nodded awkwardly, "Dude, are you an idiot?"

"I'm not gonna be part of your weird trade," I shook my head, "I don't need you or anyone else."

"You need an ally, Ameria," Riffian shook his head in disappointment, "How many times do I have to—"

"Mags," I announced, making Mags turned around completely. She turned her head to the side a little bit, "I want Mags as an ally."

Mags smiled a little and reached over and held my hand. Both of her wrinkled hands held my left hand tightly, "But Ameria—"

"No, Finnick," I looked over at him, "I don't need any favors."

"I'm your ally... I'm your friend," Finnick ignored Mags continuous fiddling with my fingers, "And you don't have to be mine. I'm not just doing this for the trade, I already told you... You're interesting and I want—"