Chapter 20: The Secret

Before I took my shower Nat handed me some clothes. It was a tank top.
"Nat I can't wear this."
"What?"
"It's a tank top, they're going to see them." I pointed to my back.
"I'm sorry Abby, that's all I have. You can't wear your slimes clothes, I might have a sweater for you." She looked genuinely sorry.
"Alright." I took a quick shower and changed into the clothes she gave me. I looked at myself in the mirror. You could definitely see the tattoos and the scars that litter my back and shoulders. I walked out to find Natasha in her room looking though her closet. She turned when she saw me.
"I'm sorry Abby, I don't have anything." I started to panic. They were going to start asking questions and then get worried and figure out what happened. And then they would never want to see me again. "Shh. It's ok. They're not going to be mad."
"But they're going to be scared, and then they'll never want to see me again."
"No. Have you seen this family? There's a part spider, a tin-can, a scientist/green monster, a witch, and two ex spies. I don't think this will be any different."
"You think?"
"I know. And if they do, I'll kill them." I laughed.
"Sounds good Auntie Nat." She froze.
"Auntie Nat?"
"Yeah."
"I like that."
"Good that's your name from now on."
"You ready?"
"As I'll ever be." We walked out together. I tried to act as if nothing was wrong. I got away a with it... for a minute. Then they noticed. Peter first.
"Abby?"
"Mm hm?"
"What are those? On your back." I could feel everyone's eyes on me.
"Tattoos?"
"Was that a question or an answer?" Tony asked, taking a step towards me. I shrunk back.
"An answer." I whispered.
"What happened?" Steve asked. I hesitantly told them the story. They were all quiet. I was about two seconds from running out.
"Why didn't you tell us?" Peter asked.
"Why didn't I tell you? Are you'd serious right now!? If you had someone experimented on you for eight years of your life, stuck needles into you and gave you giant metal death wings, would you go spreading that around? Would you trust people if you've been abused and hit and then lived on the streets for two years, having to watch your back in case people came to kill you? No you wouldn't. Have you had to hypnotize your own parents to forget you? No you haven't! So you know what, you can leave me alone!" I had taken steps toward everybody, all of them backing up as I got closer. They all had their mouths hanging open. In my anger, my wings had started to bud out, eventually spreading to their full length. I pulled a feather, ripping it off, and throwing it by their heads, missing them by an inch. Then I willed my wings to fold in, and I walked out, leaving them all in shock. I decided I needed to get my anger out so I went to the training room. Found a punching bag and started to punch it. I let my wings come out and I pulled two feathers, slashing and cutting the bag up until it was in shreds. Then I moved to the next one, and the next. Until I had destroyed 5 punching bags and I was sobbing on the floor, my wings wilting. I could hear the sand draining out of the last bag and I curled up my knees to my chin. They must hate me now.