Theo's and Joe's little chat

I walk into the room and shake Theo gently. "Can I sleep in here with you guys? I don't really like my room." Theo rolls over so that his body is a few inches from Leo's. I climb in and stay sat up. I look over to Leo who seems fast asleep but I'm only guessing. She's facing away from me and Theo. After a while, Theo looks at me. "Can't you sleep?" I shake my head. He sits up carefully, trying not to awake Leo. "What are you thinking about?" I look down at my hands. "I've never really had any friends. I couldn't really trust anyone. But I trust you and Leo." He smiles at me and pats me on the shoulder.

"I've also been thinking about Leo. Does she know?" Theo gives me a confused look. "That you're in love with her? Well clearly she doesn't or else she'd have said something by now. Either that or she has and she doesn't want to be more than just friends with you." Theo's confusion turns into embarrassment and anger. He pushes me off the bed and I land with with a thud. "Don't push me! You might wake Leo." He leans over to check and looks back at me, "she's fast asleep."

"I see the way you look at her Theo. I saw the way you held her. Held her close and tight and didn't want to let go. Wanting to protect her from all the horrible things in this world."

He looks at his hands and shakes his head. "You think she loves me? Why would she love me? I'm nothing. If it wasn't for this apocalypse, she wouldn't give me a second glance. Her stupid idioticness. Sometimes I feel like my hearts going to beat out my chest. Of course I want to protect her, we're currently living in a place where we could get eaten. And I'm obviously going to hug her if she's upset."

Theo looks up and I see tears in his eyes. "It's hard not to love her." I put my arm over his shoulders. He looks at me with his rich brown eyes. I hold my hand out. He slaps it. "Promise you won't tell her."

"Promise."