Chapter 51-Beginnings

*mentions of abuse*

Freya's POV
It felt creepy to stare at Leona when she was sleeping but I was simply concerned for her. These past days, especially yesterday, she'd barely been able to get any sleep. I was thankful she actually fell asleep today so even if it was almost noon on New Year's Eve I refrained from waking her up. She needed the extra sleep.

It was bewildering to think about the fact that tomorrow it was another year. A new beginning and hopefully a better year than this one. This year had been the best year of my life yet also one of the worst. Although certainly far from the worst year of my life.

Not only had I ended things with Rowan but I had also gotten together with Leona. This had been a year of healing, trying to move on. A year of trying to break free from the pain last year and all the years prior had brought. For Leona, it was a year of trying to learn to live without her sister.

Next year would be better for the both of us, I'd make sure of it. It was what she deserved, what we both deserved.

Instead of continuing to simply stare at Leona like a creep, I walked out of the room to call my family. I started with facetiming Micaela who soon picked up. She smiled brightly at me through the screen.

"Hi, idiot. How are you?"

I chuckled. "I'm doing well, kind of, yesterday was difficult. Mostly for Leona. I hope today will be better. It's New Year's Eve after all."

"Do you live together now? It seems like she's been spending a lot of time at yours since you got together."

"No, but my roommate is still out of town, and because of work we don't get to see each other a lot so we're making the most of it while she's away. Not that I mind it when she's here but we have a lot of privacy right now, gotta take advantage of it."

"God, Freya, I don't wanna hear about your sex life," she whisper-yelled.

I gasped dramatically. "What has happened to my innocent little sister? I never said it was because of sex you dirty child."

"Please, I'm sixteen."

"And a minor," I added.

She rolled her eyes, I laughed but tried to stay fairly quiet. I didn't want to wake Leona up. We continued talking for a while, Micaela filled me in on how things had been at my old home. It saddened me to hear about how awful Jolene was and how my father, no, her husband, did nothing as usual. Nothing had changed and guilt overcame me. I was a terrible sister for letting her stay in an environment like that.

"If you want me to try to get you out of there, I'll do everything in my power to. I don't want you to stay there. I have evidence she's physically and mentally abusive. I'll call CPS, anything."

"No. The CPS probably won't do shit and Mom has a lot of power. It's not worth it, I turn 18 in two years, I got a job and the second I can I'll get out of there. She deserves prison, but I'm scared it will mess up my life if I try to take the case to court. If you want to because of what she to do you, I'm not going to stop you. Just don't do it for me."

I sighed heavily. "Okay, for now, I won't do anything but if she even touches a strand on your hair, call me and I'll make sure she gets hell for it. If you ever feel unsafe, call me or Wren. I'll come get you no matter where you are or what I'm doing. You hear me?"

She smiled. "Yes, I love you sister."

My heart warmed. "I love you too, I'm going to call Wren now but have a good New Year's Eve. Don't let our awful so-called-family ruin it for you."

"I'm sneaking out to go to a party," she told me.

"Be careful, okay? If you're gonna drink, I can't stop you but stay safe. Never leave your drink alone or with someone. Even if you trust them it's now worth the risk. Don't make any stupid mistakes or feel pressured to do anything and don't take drugs. Stay away from creepy people and if you're gonna go further, use protection. Make sure you get home safely and don't you dare drive drunk. I'd rather you call me at 4 am than do that. Also, if Mom finds you get the hell out of there and come to me, promise me you'll stay safe?"