Chapter 25-Wedding

*mental abuse*

Freya

I was getting married today.

I was actually getting married today, the thought alone was insane. Ignoring the unsettling feeling in my stomach every time I thought about it, I finished up the final touches and took a look in the mirror.

"Have you gained weight?" My ever so polite mother asked me. I ignored her question but she apparently didn't get the signal and continued pestering me. "Or is it just the dress that makes you look fat?"

I'd learned to ignore my mom's insults, didn't mean they didn't hurt. In this case, even if I had indeed gained weight and despite the reason being pregnancy, it still made me feel insecure.

"Don't ignore me, young lady," mom yelled with gritted teeth, grabbing my arm rather forcefully. I yanked my arm away and held it, examining the spot she dug her nails into.

"I'm sorry, mother."

"You could have at least tried to appear good for today," mom lectured. That stung.

"I did try," I argued, getting aggravated.

"Clearly you didn't try hard enough." She took a deep breath to gather herself. "You're such a disgrace to the family, you can't even do one thing right. I do everything for you, Freya. Where did I go wrong to get such a child?"

Don't cry.

You don't have time to argue.

Shit.

"Everything? Really? You've done nothing for me!" I snapped. She looked absolutely furious.

"I paid for this wedding!"

"That you forced me to have!"

A stinging pain filled my cheek that was turning red. She slapped me. If it wasn't for the fact that I was about to get married in a few minutes I wouldn't doubt that she would have done much worse than just slap me. But, after all, her reputation was worth too much for her to ruin it out of frustration.

"You're a sorry excuse for a daughter. Go fix your makeup and that attitude of yours, it's not very suiting for a lady. The wedding starts soon." That was her last words before she stomped out of the room and left me alone.

Nothing I ever did was enough for her.

I hastily gathered myself and fixed my makeup. It was finally time to walk down the alter. To say I was anxious was an excuse. Deep breaths. I took a step forward with my bouquet and was greeted by people standing up and Rowan waiting with a smile for me. My dad joined arms with me. "You look gorgeous, darling."

"Thank you," I whispered back. My father and I weren't close, but he wasn't nearly as bad as my mom.

I glanced around the crowd and my eyes settled on a face I knew all too well, Leona. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. Sure, I invited her but she'd been ignoring me so I half-expected her not to show up. It brought a smile to my face that she did.

My eyes stayed on hers for a few seconds too long. She looked bothered and I couldn't help but want to wrap my arms around her and tell her it was going to be okay, despite not knowing what was troubling her. Someone clearing their throat brought me back to reality. 

We exchanged a couple of words before the priest said the words that would declare our marriage. "Do you take, Freya, as your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"