Chapter 55-Micaela

*mentions of abuse, trauma*

Freya's POV
Considering Jolene was a piece of shit, I wasn't surprised she kicked out Micaela. However, I was furious. Although I wasn't sure what the reason was. Something must have happened for her to suddenly kick her out. Micaela was a troublesome kid, well at least according to Jolene, but I'd figured she liked having control of her despite that. It was how she worked.

"Shit, Micaela. Why?"

She answered, albeit dubiously and rather quietly with a guilty expression, "because of you."

"Because of me? What do you mean?"

"I forgot to turn off my location since she always tracks it. She was yelling, threatening me until I gave in and told her I was visiting you. I'm sorry I should have lied but I knew that would end even worse. I thought she would just ground me or possibly hit me. Instead, she kicked me out, calling me a disgrace for disobeying her and visiting you. She's found out I snuck out before so I didn't think she'd do something this rash."

If I was furious now, my blood was boiling with anger now. I took a breath and said, "it's because you were visiting me, she hates everything that I am. And well, the fact that I'm gay. Probably thought I would corrupt you or something."

Micaela nodded with watering eyes. "It was the reason. It hurts even more knowing it's true. I'm bi and if she knew she would hate me even more. I'm so sorry, Freya."

"Why are you apologizing? I'm the one who should be."

She shook her head, covering her mouth with her hand while sobbing, "she knows your address now."

I hadn't thought about that. The thought made me uneasy but truthfully if she truly cared enough she would find my address anyhow. Right now I was much more worried about Micaela than myself.

"It's okay. She's sneaky, if she wanted to find me she would have. Don't you worry about me?"

"I don't know what to do now," she confessed between sobs, looking down at her lap.

I wrapped an arm around her and hugged her tightly. "We'll figure it out. I told you that you could come here if anything happened, didn't I? That still applies. I don't know if you can stay here but I'm sure Wren wouldn't mind you staying with him and his husband. Regardless, we'll find a way. Okay?"

She nodded, "okay. I trust you."

I offered her a supportive smile. "Good. Now don't cry. You can stay with me for a while. Do you want to talk to Wren about it tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I can do that."

***

The next morning I woke up early to make us both breakfast. I imagined Micaela must have been exhausted from yesterday so I thought I'd surprise her. It was 9 am so I doubted Leona would answer immediately as she was at work but I sent her a text regardless. I didn't tell her exactly what happened but let her know Micaela was staying with me and that I couldn't meet with her today. She was understanding and said we could see each other another day.

I set the table and waited for Micaela to wake up. It was still quite early so I anticipated she wouldn't wake up for another thirty minutes or so. She wasn't the type to wake up but after yesterday I wasn't sure when she would be asleep.

It turned out she woke up at 9:40. Micaela entered the kitchen and groggily rubbed her eyes, letting out a yawn in the process. She thanked me and sat down to eat. As did I.