Chapter 76-Love

Leona's POV
I woke up because someone was ringing our doorbell. Checking the watch I realized it was noon. Usually, I never slept for this long but after the long day of traveling, I wasn't shocked I'd woken up this late.

"Who's at the door?" I grumbled, rubbing my eyes.

Freya had woken up too, she sat up, stretching. She looked around at the room then her eyes stopped on me. Her hair was a mess and her eyes were still droopy with tiredness. I smiled.

"Is someone at the door?" She asked.

Suddenly, I remembered. "Shit, it must be my parents. They told me they were coming at noon to leave Penny."

"Oh, I forgot about that. Let me get ready quickly, let them in."

I nodded, walking out of the room to the door and opening it. Very well, there stood my parents with a meowing Penny in a cage. They beamed at the sight of me, I beckoned them in and they stepped into the apartment, putting Penny's cage down. I opened the cage and she dubiously walked out, staring at me for a second then stroking herself against my leg, purring loudly. Having missed her extremely, I beamed in delight, picking her up. She continued purring as I pet her.

"Did we wake you?" My mom asked, guilt lacing her voice.

"Yes, but it's my fault, I should have put an alarm. We arrived late yesterday so it slipped my mind."

"You deserved a well rest after the long trip," my dad chimed in. "I hope you a good honeymoon, dear."

My lips tugged up. "Definitely. Sit down, I need to get ready quickly but Freya will be right out."

"Okay, sweetie," my mom said. "I'm glad you had a good trip. Go get ready and we'll chat about it. I wanna see Freya too."

I set Penny down, earning loud protests from her. Giving her one last pet, I went to get ready, bumping into Freya who was newly showered, hair wet. She must have had one quick shower, I thought.

"I need to dry my hair and brush my teeth but you can shower while I do that," she told me and I hummed in agreement, pecking her on the lips.

After Freya was done with that, she went out into the living room, where my parents were waiting patiently for us.

Freya's POV
Upon seeing Leona's parents, I smiled brightly, sitting down across from them. Mrs. Hart rounded the table to embrace me. Ever since they entered my life, they'd acted more like parents to me than my biological ones had. I wasn't sure whether I hated it or loved it. It saddened me that I had to find the source of comfort I should have had from birth. The comfort of people, parents, that cared about me. My in-law parents, who I'd known for mere years, were better parents to me than my own were. That part, I hated. It shouldn't have been like that.

The embrace of someone who cared for me like I was her daughter, was foreign to this day. I wasn't sure how long it'd take for me to get used to knowing Mrs. Hart cared for me. Part of me, the part of me tucked under years of trauma inflicted by my mother, went rigid at the feel of her arms around me. I had to remind myself she meant no harm. She wasn't Jolene. She wasn't my mother. I pushed away that part, sighing into the comfort of her arms around me. Jolene wasn't allowed to ruin my life anymore. She wasn't allowed to control me. She wasn't welcome into my mind anymore.

Mrs. Hart let go of me, keeping me at arm's length. She caressed my cheek with a gentle smile. "Look at you. You're everything I could have wished for in a daughter-in-law. Thank you for being there for my daughter."

I wanted to cry, my eyes threatened to tear up, a lumpy feeling from keeping back the tears when I swallowed. She studied my face, concerned at the tears pricking my eyes.