Chapter 29

Life is so incredibly hard. It's hard to live, to survive, to constantly fight with no means or hope for an end. Just when you think it's over and you're finally free of it all, you have a child and learn that they will be forced into the fight to finish the battles that started long before their time.

The sun shone brightly down on me and I closed my eyes relishing in its warmth. Being out west is quite a refresher, it's so much warmer than back home even in the summertime but I'm not complaining. I was outside with my little group that included Athena, Amaya, Titania, Xavier alongside everyone else that came with us, watching our children play together in the field before us.

It's been days since the four babies became children and already, they've come a long way. They aren't as disoriented or confused, acting more like children instead of zombies which was reassuring on many levels. There are eight of them right now.

Ara.

Charm.

Fallon.

Nysa.

Halo.

Erin.

Carson.

Adelaide.

Now the same size, the same age range, the same way of thinking. They are now all on the same level which will be great for when they start their training. They played innocently together, running around and making quite the scene. Some of them wore black bracelets on their wrists that didn't subdue their abilities, but rather helped them with their control. They are still free to use their gifts, the bracelets are only triggered if their abilities get out of hand.

Amaya made them weeks ago since the kids' ages are all technically younger than they appear so none of them have the proper handle on their powers. Only Ara and Adelaide's wrists are free of the bracelets since they are the only children who grew into their ages naturally. Ara is able to control her gift fairly well, while Adelaide's gift still hasn't made an appearance yet which wasn't exactly a good thing for anyone.

During their training, they are supposed to strengthen their powers, it's vital for their survival but if Adelaide's doesn't come soon, then there will be a slight problem when she needs to defend herself. When they're old enough and can control their gifts, the bracelets will be removed.

"I just wish I had an idea of what her powers are." Xavier sighed from the ground. He was casually laying down in the grass with his hands behind his head, seeming to be completely at ease.

"They will come," Athena told him. "I was a late bloomer too."

"That's wack." Xavier teased.

"We still need to see what Carson and Erin's powers are as well." Amaya chimed in, watching her son with the same love she had only days ago. He is still her son, after all, nothing changed other than his age.

"Until then, starting them off with basic combat won't hurt," Rowan said, her body relaxing against Alec's. He held her close to his side, occasionally whispering things in her ear that either made her smile, laugh, or blush. It was cute.

"Always so level-headed." Athena joked with her. "Don't you ever just lay back and chill?" She laughed.

Rowan simply rolled her eyes at Athena, smiling. We all basked in the sun, enjoying the day when a voice rang out.

"I brought ice cream!"

I looked over watching River smiling brightly while clinging onto her mate's back as he carried a bag of individual small tubs of ice cream in a grocery bag. He doesn't really talk much unless it's with River or Titania. He didn't seem to mind carrying his mate, in fact, he looked to be enjoying it. Once they reached us, River climbed down from Alioth's huge body taking hold of his arm.