Chapter 13- Day One

"White Tiger"

2013 Copyright © All Rights Reserved.

Stryder Sweetman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 13

I woke up in the morning feeling positive and refreshed. I was confident that I would overcome whatever challenge I was put up to today.

I hopped out of bed and bounced over to the bathroom. Literally bounced. I was acting like Ani.

Anyway, I straightened my hair and put it up in a high pony tail, so I looked pretty, but I also looked serious.

I could have easily just shifted into myself with straight hair and a pony tail, but I wanted to take the time. Because I was happy.

A quick glance around the room, and I saw the corner of the book I’d picked up at Xavier’s, from the shifter, William, sticking out from under my bed. A small growl escaped my throat at the reminder of the scratched out family tree.

I then shifted into some blue skinny jeans, some Ugg boots and a white T-shirt with the words 'Bring It ON!' in block lettering.

I skipped down to the kitchen, getting strange looks as I skipped down stairs and halls, and walked in the door. There was a middle-aged lady cooking pancakes at the stove.

I walked up to her with a big smile on my face and asked, "Do you want any help cooking breakfast?"

She seemed unsure how to answer, clearly torn between her loyalty to the Alpha, and getting help from the girl he was against.

I smiled brightly and said, "I won't tell him, I promise, and if anyone walks in I can pretend I am not helping?"

I could see she had made a decision in her eyes. She gave me a bright smile and shook my hand.

"I would love some help. And you don't have to lie, it's ok. I am Macy Ravine." She offered her name.

"Ben Tigenre," I told her my name, though she probably already knew it from last night, "Would you by any chance be related to Ophelia Ravine?" I asked, linking the last names together.

A tinge of sadness flashed in her eyes, "I am her mother, how do you know her, may I ask?" She spoke politely, a little sadness showing in her voice.

"Uh... I have seen her around, she seems... Special. She doesn't really want me here..." I said, telling the lady, Macy, some of my feelings. It was strange... Macy seemed to be a lovely lady, how her child turned out to be a monster, I do not know...

She gave me a sad smile and said, "Yes, Ophie has changed in the last few years, she isn't the same sweet girl I would take to the zoo. I think it has to do with my husband and I divorcing. In fact, she would wring my neck for calling her Ophie, that was his nickname for her as a child..." Her smile turned sadder, until it became a grimace.

I smiled brightly, trying to cheer her up, "So what can I help you with?" I asked, changing the topic, her features immediately brightened, the sadness almost completely lost in her eyes.

"Can you start cooking the bacon?" She asked, pouring more pancake batter in the frying pan.

We talked about little things, my travels, her family, and stuff like that. I told her about my birthday, and learned she had a son, older than 'Ophie' (loving that nickname), named Drew, he was in a college a few hours from here.

When the food was done, we quickly served ourselves a plate each, and then called for the rest of the pack. I sent her a smile before making my way up the stairs, avoiding the stampede, and headed to Ani's room, where I knew she and Willow would be.