Chapter 27- Flying Lessons

"White Tiger"

2013 Copyright © All Rights Reserved.

Stryder Sweetman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 27

Jason

Waking up, I felt... Different.

I was used to the feeling of the pack mind in my head, but there was a more intimate presence in my head, a stronger bond.

Ben, is that you? Have you decided we can finally be together and I can be your mate and we can- I was cut off by a high pitched voice in my head.

It's not Ben, you idiot. She went to bed last night in her own room, it muttered.

Then who are you supposed to be? I asked, memories of the previous day flashing through my mind.

Penny in the air... The voice said.

I suddenly remembered Morte, the owlet Ben and I rescued.

Penny drops. The voice said sarcastically.

Morte? I asked warily.

Yeah, who else? Morte replied.

Uh, Santa? I answered before thinking.

I felt Morte's amused feelings toward me. That was a new sensation...

So yeah, I guess I’m your companion. You know, you can open your eyes... She told me.

My eyes snapped open and I blushed as I realised I hadn't opened my eyes since I woke up. I turned and looked over at Morte's nest in the corner of my shelf, and I was shocked to see that she was a shade lighter and her wing wasn't strapped up.

I'll strap you back up; you don't want to hurt yourself.  I told her, my voice laced with worry.

She twisted her neck to make eye contact with me, Take a look for yourself, I’m healed.

What? No it'll take you a few weeks befo- I cut myself off as she stretched out her little wings, the one on her right no longer twisted at a weird angle. How did it heal so fast? It was really badly damaged! I asked, heading over to her, and feeling her wing for myself.

I think it has to do with the bond. You exchanged your energy with me, and vice versa, and in the process, the bond healed my wing. I think it was a mixture of fast shifter healing, and our energies mixing. She explained.

For an owlet, you sure have a big vocabulary. I pointed out.

She gave me what I suppose was a smug look, Part of the bond- I got some extra brain space since you don't use much of yours.

"Hey!" I called out loud, lunging at her.

She jumped out of my reach, hopping away along my shelf. I grinned, reaching out and picking her up, I placed her on my shoulder.

Wanna go show the whole pack that we're companions? I asked.

She ruffled her almost white feathers, Of course, but before I show my beauty to the pack, I need breakfast! She declared.

I rolled my eyes at her vanity and exited my room. I headed downstairs to the kitchen, where I stumbled upon Ben.

Literally stumbled. She was leaning against the counter, and I tripped over her legs. She stayed upright, but I went sprawling. Mid-fall, Morte jumped off of my shoulder and dropped onto the floor.