💙Chapter 28💙

There are no shortcuts to the top of the palm tree.
~African proverb.

The cold breeze fanned my face as I walked back home. It was a bit cooler than usual so I hugged myself tightly.

I never thought I would ever walk back home from school. Usually, my mom would always pick me up from school but I couldn't stay any longer on the school premises; not after what had happened to me.

I kept walking but quickened my pace the moment I noticed a few people gawk at me. Many people kept eyeing me as though I was some mythical creature that came into the real world.

I felt very uncomfortable when they continued glaring at me, so I lowered my head in an effort of ignoring the people around me.

The journey was quite long but it was what I needed to get rid of all the emotions I was feeling. I had already cried enough so I did not want to dwell so much on what would cause me to cry.

When I finally arrived home, I wondered whether it would be a good idea to tell my mom what had happened. Maybe I would tell her that I fell sick, but that would not be a good excuse because I literally walked all the way home. A sick person can not do that.

So I decided that I would tell her the truth. Maybe she would even allow me to change schools.

I entered the house without worrying whether she would see me.  Then I strolled to the kitchen and found my mom cooking.

"Luna, why are you home so early?" My mom immediately asked when she caught sight of me.

"Mom, I need to talk to you about everything that happened to me today. Do you have some time to spare?"

"Yes, I do. Please take a seat."

I began to tell her everything and her mouth fell open when I explained to her.

She stared at me in awe, pitying my situation.  Her silence was enough to cause knots in my stomach because I wondered what she was going to say next.

I lowered my head in expectation of her scolding.

"Luna," she said softly.

"Yes, mom."

"I am sorry about what happened today. I am just shocked about Xavier's behavior, I never thought he would do such a thing." The fact that she didn't scold me for kissing Tristan was one thing I loved most.

"I was also very shocked and disappointed but mostly disappointed with myself."  I know Xavier would never have done that if I never kissed Tristan in the first place. So it wouldn't be fair for me to blame him.

"Where was Tristan when all that was happening?"

"He wasn't in the cafeteria. I don't even know if he showed up at school."

"Well, that was so unfortunate, I am sure he would have defended you  seeing that it was him that kissed you." I wish he was there, maybe he could have defended me but he wasn't.

"Mom, today was horrible!" I burst into tears. "I never expected anything of that sort to happen to me."

"My child, I am sorry about everything but this is how life works, we  learn from our mistakes." She was right, this was a lesson to me not to trust boys.

"Is it possible for me to change schools?" I know that was a risky question but it was already risky to tell her everything that had happened.

"I wish it were possible but it is not." She said melting the iceberg of hope I had." Your dad already paid your school fees for a year."

My heart fell to the pit of my stomach." Okay."

"Luna, I am sorry about what happened but it looks like you have to keep enduring for this whole year."

"It's okay, mom, I understand. I have to face the consequences of my actions." I said walking away from her. It pained me to know I couldn't escape the mess I just got myself into.

My mind was lost, thinking about all the nicknames I could receive from the pupils in school seeing that all of them knew I kissed Tristan.

How would everyone treat me? Would I walk head high ever again?

I decided to ignore all those thoughts and hope when I go to school the following day, everything would be better.

*****

When I entered the school premises, I felt so anxious. It felt like I was a new student again.

I almost wanted to wear a big hoodie to cover up my face but I decided not to after I realized how much of a coward that would make me look like.

If I wanted no one to taunt me it would be important for me to move head high even though I was in absolute fear. So I entered the building but everything was different.

Xavier wasn't at the door waiting for me like he always used to. It's not like I expected him to but I got so used I already started missing that.

I dismissed the memory and started to saunter to my locker.

I was shocked to notice that no one was weirdly glaring at me or making any weird comment.

When I arrived at my locker, I immediately pulled out my biology textbook in preparation for my first class.

Even though no one made any comment I was still fearing that I would probably get those comments when I  attend my first class.

So I took a deep breath and entered the classroom.