8. Portrait of Fall

The little hope Nirmala had on her face was diminished at my words. Her face went pale and her grasp on her other hand tightened; she indeed looked appalled by my words but there was hardly much she could do. Nodding just a bit, she agreed to all my words with dread written all over her visage. For a second, my heart pumped a little pity for her but that was soon subdued by my mind that once saw the charred face of her daughter.

'Bhumija needs to be avenged.' A voice in my head whispered to me, reminding me of the deceit yet again.

'But the past life is yet to happen.' My heart refuted, 'Besides, she is yet a kid now. What is there to extract revenge from?'

"Leave it," I said with my tone brimming with iciness. The squabble between my mind and heart these days seems endless which leads to me zoning out in my then stance; something I won't want to do in front of Nirmala. "I won't inform my mother regarding any of this." I relented but the anxiousness of my mind grew.

"Tha-Thank you, Rajkumari." A hope of light clashed with the orbs of Nirmala and she quickly wiped her teary eyes while stuttering. Seeing her pitiful countenance my mind too got some salve, perhaps I was indeed too harsh on the poor girl. Besides, what peace would I get from bullying a mere teenager; what was done in my then future would never happen again, I would make sure of that.

"Was there any particular reason for you to come today?" I strolled to the balcony with my fingers knit together. It was the middle of the day and the heat of the sun now had turned unbearable. Lazing around near the fountain of my garden, the birds found solace from the warmth in the blissful embrace of the cool water that was being flown out of it.

Suddenly, a sparrow flew out of the flock of birds and perched on the rails. As if reading my mind, it stared deeper into my orbs before flying away, leaving me in a stupor for a while.

"Yes," The chirpy voice of Nirmala brought me out of my state while she clapped her hands, commanding a maid to bring forth something.  Draped in a red silk cloth, it was a canvas- one that sent me back to my past life.

"Rajkumari!" Nirmala chirped. "Someone seems allured by a certain painting." She teased on seeing my pale olive cheeks turning red on witnessing the ethereal-looking man before my eyes. My heart pumped a bit faster and my hands were wet with cold sweat. I wanted to touch the portrait, get closer to Rajkumar Urjit- the name informed to me by Nirmala- but a dread was registered of ruining this surreal experience with just a flicker of my lashes.

After a few long minutes, I finally drew courage from within to press together my lips and turn to Nirmala. "Would this man be my future husband?" I queried her with happiness lacing my every syllable. My joviality knew no bounds when she nodded but soon the scene changed and the day of coronation started to play in front of me.

"You, Queen Vijetri are convicted of cheating your king, establishing relationships with several men, and your inadequate trials to provide an heir, I bestow you with capital punishment of death. On your behalf, I henceforth appoint Devi Nirmala as my queen, and Kumari Bhumija is relieved from her title of a princess too due to her lack of connection to royal blood." The malicious face of Urjit narrated his verdict of all the false claims with righteousness.

"They are false" I screamed, not realizing that I was no more in that life. Startled by my bellow, the maids rushed to my side, and so did Nirmala who had yet to uncover the canvas. With quivering fingers I went closer to the portrait and unveiled it; there his visage was painted and with a swift movement I tore the parchment without any regret.

"I would have my revenge" I muttered before darkness embraced me and I heard further footsteps approaching me.

"Vija," A soft voice cooed to me while I stayed afloat in the darkness. It felt as if the voice was the only thread connecting me to the material world and if I didn't try to find the light, even the last connection would snap soon.

"Vija," The voice called again and this time I followed it. Just when I thought I found my way, another voice called for me from the other side. "Ma"

I stood at my spot, baffled at the second voice. Never   thought that I would be able to hear it again. It was the voice of my daughter; my one of the reasons to continue living.

"Bhumija?" I questioned walking the other way but a force kept me from walking even a bit closer.

"Yes, ma," A  translucent figure of Bhumija started to contrive in the darkness. There were still marks of burn on her face but to me, she was the most beautiful child I have ever seen. "What are you doing here?" She questioned with a disgruntled look as if she was displeased with my presence there.

"I- I don't know" I answered truthfully. One moment I was talking to Nirmala and in the second I was floating in a void-like two weeks ago. It was indeed too whimsical to be like this; out of control but I had little option but to explore this obscurity.

"You shouldn't be here ma, go away." That was all she answered before running away, leaving me petrified. I tried to follow her but it was in vain; the field refused to let me to the other side and I was left with the most horrific question of my life.

'Has my incapability repulsed my only child to get closer to me? Am I this repulsive? Do I deserve this capital punishment?' And my world started to swirl, leaving me in a trance, a lack of will to continue.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Rajkumari- princess

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Why do you think Bhumija said such words?

How was the chapter?

Did you guys like it?

If yes then make sure to vote and comment.

See you in the next chapter

Till then, bye-bye.