28. Lines of Kohl

Lining the kohl in my eyes, I stared at my reflection in the copper mirror that reflected a maiden sitting in wedding garbs with tears in her eyes. The lips were pursed while the teeth bit on them, trying not to draw blood and the eyes had lining off red at the tips similar to the red of the skirt.

Embroidered with golden thread, the blouse as well as the long skirt exuberated magnificence while the gems attached to it shone brightly, reminding everyone of the status of Medinikhand's princess and soon-to-be princess consort of Shakya Pradesh. In the last eleven days, I avoided Nyrvig, always managing to sneak away from him, taking shelter in the excuse of rituals of the wedding. He too was busy with them, for the last eleven days, every day was spent completing certain rites or customs that he didn't even hear about before the time he was asked to do that. I, of course, knew them all as this was not the first time I was married but the fluttery feeling in the heart of a bride was still there.

In this sea of rituals, one particular one was quite eventful, the one of Haldi. That day the moon was shining brightly, providing a silver sheen to the surfaces while the entire city of Madhavpuri was colored in the hue of yellow and white; celebrating the evening of my haldi celebration. 

The entire day went by with me sitting at one place while everyone painted me in turmeric paste; paste that was already applied on Nyrvig. That was the day when I was truly painted in his color. Another thing about that day was, for the first time I saw my mother cry in front of everyone, the tears in her eyes were like the pearl in my palms, precious.

After the time when the function ended, I was bathed in milk and water mixed with rose essence. As soon as the warm water graced my skin, it relaxed, relishing the comfort it provided; it was utter euphoria for me. Seeing my face, radiating delight, the women bathing me giggled, speaking the stories of their marriage. There was bliss at the moment and for once none of my thoughts were able to malign it.

Though this was my second marriage, this time things were different from the prior one. This time I was not the only one happy regarding the union, my family was there for me in this decision.

Thinking of all this, I smiled just a little and the redness in my eyes diminished. I was happy, truly the bride of someone who would cherish me this time. Despite the union being that of a deal, I had faith in Nyrvig that he won't belittle me and I would have an equal share in his life.

Just as I was about to divulge deep into my thoughts again, a torso of a woman entered my chamber, looking around as if a rabbit peeking from his hole.

"Bhabhi! There you are!" An excited voice of Yashodhara called out. Her eyes held jubilance for me while her one was the harbinger of my peace. In the last few days, another eventful thing was my friendship with Yashodhara. 

With her bubbly attitude and a heart innocent like none, I couldn't help but approve of the girl. Not to forget, there were times when I saw both her and Bhrata Aadhirai making eye contact with one another; they were lost in their world while I discreetly passed by.

From the very moment forth, I was sure about the love blooming among both of them for their eyes spoke the tale of a princess who fell for her prince who was equally tangled by her presence.

When confronted I only got a blush as an answer, making me chuckle for a long time. While these buds of love were blossoming, there was another thing that caught my eyes, Minister Trinabh was not just dwindling with the spice case, rather he was following the orders of Bhrata Aaditya and solving the case. This put me at ease that my absence would not hamper the lives of our citiz-

"Bhabhi it is no time to zone out!" Yashodhara shook me to break my trance-like state. Her green-colored embroidered lehenga glimmered according to the torches of the walls while her heavy jewelry crinkled at her every movement.

"What are you doing Yashodhara? You shouldn't be here." I chided her, reminding her requirement next to her brother at this moment of his life.

"I sneaked in. Besides, who wants to be with that buffoon who is always after my arse." With eyes widened, she slapped her mouth on realizing her language.

"How many times do I have to remind you of the decorum?" I whispered to her while drawing her hand closer to me. "That rouge painted lips of yours never gets a control, ever."   

Clicking her tongue she winced at my words before shifting closer a bit as if whispering to me some secret of olden times that is not meant for others to hear.

"What fun is there in control when you could just let go." She amusedly looked at my astonished face before walking away from me.

"See you in Shakya Pradesh Bhabhi. Please don't run away from that idiot brother of mine. He seems to love you a lot." Like she entered, she exited the room, leaving me baffled.

Was few moments after Yashodhara left my chamber, a group of giggling ladies entered with a huge tray in their hands.

"Looks like we have another batch of rituals coming ahead," I muttered under my breath before getting ready for the wedding itself.

Under the dark fleece of night, the hymns rebounded in the entire Madhavpuri while the Brahmins present in the area sang all the mantras together in sync. Amidst all this, it was the sacred fire blazed in the middle. With slow steps, I walked closer to it, the day of coronation played before my eyes but this time, I held the strength and strutted towards the man who dared to honor my demands despite all the plans he had; the one who entered my ring of family. The one who managed to wipe away the lines of my destiny written in kohl.

Like this, on the eleventh day of Jyestha, I was married to a man who was not perfect but was seemingly perfect for me; Rajkumar Nyrvig of Shakya Pradesh.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Rajkumar- Prince

Bhabhi- Sister-in-law

Jyestha- Month of Hindu calendar 

Bhrata- brother

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hiyos peeps!

How was the update?

With this, the single life of Vijetri ends and now she would be married.

I hope you liked the chapter

Meet you in the next one

Till then, bye bye