30. Clashing Emotions

The morning sun was replaced by the moon and the sky lost its reddish hue to darkness. Sitting in my palanquin for the whole day, with all the heavy pieces of jewelry pricking my skin, my body felt sored and tired. Moisture rolled down my forehead and a suffocating sense captured me. I parted the curtains a bit to let some fresh breeze in.

After some time, I heard Nyrvig's voice, strong and authoritative, command the troop to stop. I glanced outside to check the matter and saw soldiers building tents. I sighed and got down from my palanquin to get some fresh air and straighten my muscles.

My face was caressed by the soothing zephyrs of the night and a sense of calm rippled throughout my body. There was no sound of birds chirping in the ethereal fleece of darkness but the crickets had their merriment in the meantime; it was as if they were celebrating the arrival of some respected guest, singing in joviality.

Soon after I climbed down the palanquin,  the tents were raised. Chanchala on querying further from the soldiers took me to the huge tent that was in the center area of the expanse. Adjacent to it, there was another tent of equal grandiose, I assumed it to be one of Yashodhara who was traveling along with us.

My suspicion was true because I noticed one of her chief maids guarding the entrance while directing the soldiers to arrange the needs of her mistress.

I moved inside my tent which was not only spacious from the inside but was also oozing grandeur. I walked around the room, trailing my fingers on the wooden boxes and trunks, feeling their rich and intricate designs. I stopped in front of the mirror to observe myself. My hands were red in some spots due to the pricking from the jewels and my hair was sticking to my neck due to sweat. Not to say further, I was a complete mess.

I motioned everyone, except Chanchala to move outside, and muttered a word for help from an already approaching Chanchala to help me remove the jewels. Not to say much, they were heavy and weighing me down. Once I got unfettered from their tangle there was a feeling of getting rid of all my pain and there was a sense of being light; it was euphoric.

The night breeze fluttered through the curtains of the tent, letting my tresses be dancers to their tune while the flames of the torch near me had another melody to make it twirl in joy. The soft sound of crickets chirping outside gave harmony to the soldiers who made a campfire and were dancing to some folk song unheard to my ears and everything was seemingly at peace.

"It seems that Rajkumari is enjoying the ethereal beauty of the eve." The mischievous voice of Nyrvig resounded in the tent, making me wince a little at the sudden interruption.

Not bothering to fake a smile further, I turned around to stare at him with blank eyes. There was no love left for him now, the ruse I created to calm the hearts of my family, now diminished in thin air and what remained now was apathy.

Throughout the ceremony, I coaxed myself into believing that marrying Nyrvig was salvation provided to me from the old life but now that I am married, I couldn't possibly fool myself with such musings; I hated Nyrvig for even thinking of annihilating my family or even threatening the life of my brother and this was nothing but the truth.

"You seem to be ignoring me for a long time now Vijaya." He called me by the name he has selected for me. If it were not for the hate bubbling inside me, I sure would have blushed but now, I could only feel like clawing away parts of my skin and cutting off his tongue.

"Yes, it is indeed true," I answered with gritted teeth. The sound of Vijaya was still resonating in my ears.

There was silence for a long time except for the folk song that was being sung by the soldiers. Their merriment was hardly affecting the thick air of the tent that was laden with the fury of both the parties.

"I perceive it is due to my plans earlier?" He questioned after the long silence; his mischievousness got washed away like a speck of dust. I nodded at the question, not bothering to explain him further as the truth now laid before him.

"All those smiles, holding of hands... they were to calm your family's worrying hearts, wasn't it?" He questioned again but the answer was before him.

The silence was followed by his statement again before he burst into laughter. It didn't leave me off guard or something like that, rather I was in my bubble, listening to the chatter outside.

"Regardless, we are married now." He muttered, "And you Vijetri, are now my wife. Though I won't force you into anything   I expect basic decency amongst us else, I don't think your parents would be ecstatic on knowing the nature of our marriage." 

This caught my attention and I fisted my palms, knowing that he was not joking. My eyes glared daggers at him but he was unbothered by them.

"You wouldn't dare," I growled at him.

"Do as I say or we could give my solution a try too." He smirked and walked closer to me. His broad torso eclipsed the flame of a torch on the opposite wall while half of his face was now glimmering under the sheen of light. "Won't it be amusing my Vijaya?" He stressed the word my while his fingers traced onto my face, finally stopping at my lips.

Before I knew further, he leaned in, pressing his lips onto mine and I was engulfed in the pure bliss that his tender lips provided me. Soon I started to reciprocate it but it was stopped when a bite on my lips was marked, facilitating me with a pleasurable pain, and just like the kiss came, it was soon gone leaving my desire to have him unquenched. 

'Stop thinking like this Vijaya.' A thought probed me but it was soon stopped by another thought.

'Vijaya?' It chided me and I was left to muse inside me about what was happening.

"I am sorry Vijetri." Nyrvig brought me back to reality with his words and I looked into his eyes to find an answer to what he was sorry about. Seeing my brows scrunched he understood my trail of thoughts and continued, " I am the culprit of threatening your family but now I promise to be on your side forever. I did many misdeeds before getting to know you Vijetri but your presence has done nothing but n it. If you are ready to forgive me, I promise a better future for you. This is my promise. Are you ready to acknowledge it?"

His words made my heart skip a bit, for the tenderness and resolute it held was something I have never heard from him. He was not sorry for the kiss, rather he understood my stance, yet again; leaving me with thoughts of togetherness, and with a nod, I gave him the chance he was asking for.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Rajkumari- Princess

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hello people!

What do you think about Vijetri's choice? Many of you might not like it but hear me out, just a little.

Technically, Nyrvig has yet to do anything hence Vijetri gave him a chance. I hope you guys understand that Vijetri's will to live is much more than the vengeance of the past. She is trying to grow.

Also, I might not be able to update regularly due to some health issues, don't worry they are minor ones but still, less screen time is prescribed to me.

See you in the next update

Till then bye-bye!