1

"Mels I think we should break up" David said to her, his voice flat, no emotion, as though he wasn't blowing up her entire world with his blunt words.

"What?" Melody asked, her face had gone pale, she had heard the words he said the first time but she couldn't believe it. She loved him and he loved her, why would they break up? Why would he want this?

"Look, I like you a lot, and I think you're really great, but let's face reality. Your mom is moving you practically across the country. We wont see each other for the rest of this year. Plus next year you know I'm going to get into an Ivy League Law School. We just wont have lives that overlap anymore. I don't want to spend the best years of yours and my life stuck in a long distance relationship. You understand right babe?" He tried to put his arms around her, to comfort her like he had so many times before. But his touch felt dirty now, there was no comfort to be had in his arms.

"Fuck you David, you just want to get your dick wet in as many holes as possible. Jackass." Melody was normally sweet as apple pie, and never swore, not right now, not after her boyfriend of the last year broke up with her out of nowhere. He had set something on fire inside her, and the fire was full of fury. Now she was a woman in pain. Her breath burned in her chest, her heart was beating much too quickly as it broke into a million tiny pieces.

"Ok I was trying to be nice, but fuck you too Mels. Have a nice life." and with that he turned on his heels and walked away from her. Her vision slowly blackened until she was visually trapped in a dark tunnel and all she could see was him walking away from her, forever.

Melody had thought David was the love of her life, he was athletic and popular, and made her feel special. He had been pressuring her to give in and have sex with him, but she needed a little more time to feel ready. She was almost ready, she had planned for them to make love the last night she was here before she moved away, then they would go long distance until she finished highschool and could legally move out to be with him without her mom interfering. She thought it was a perfect plan, but apparently David disagreed. Their lives weren't going to overlap anymore. Was that all she was to him? A convenient overlap?

David turned a corner in the school, and out of sight. Breaking Melody's trance and she realized she was still standing in the cafeteria of her highschool, everyone had just watched what happened and were staring at her, talking about her like she was pathetic. Their whispers sounded like a pit of snakes hissing at each other in her ears as her face burned with rage and embarrassment.

Melody looked around at all the faces watching her while trying to look like they weren't. Mocking her pain and broken heart. Fuck all these fuckers she thought to herself. I'm glad I'm leaving now. She composed herself, and went through the school corridors to one of the less popular washrooms, and locked herself in a stall to cry until it was time to go to her next class.

Melody was a ghost in her afternoon classes, she might have physically been in the room, but her mind was not. She kept seeing his face in her mind over and over as he told her he wanted to break up, like it didn't even phase him, like she was nothing to him. They had been together for almost a year! Right after her 17th birthday. Moving far away, being dumped and alone in a strange school finishing her senior year was not how she thought things would be right now. Everything was a mess in her life and she would never be ok again.

Melody never wanted to hate anyone, her heart was large and full of optimism and love. But at this particular moment, Melody was pretty sure she hated her mom. The adulteress, home wrecker times two. Melody's father had just walked out the night he found out his wife, the mother of his child was cheating on him. He hadn't come home since, or answered his phone any of the hundred times Melody called him. That was before the line was disconnected. Now he was gone and she had no way to reach him. He was a ghost.