33

Uncomfortable, was the first thought Melody had clearly. Very comfortable, her arm was killing her, alternating throbbing and sharp pains radiating up to her shoulder. When she tried to move around to get in a more comfortable position, her opposite arm stopped short painfully against a leather cuff strapped and locked tightly around her wrist bone. She felt a moment of panic as she opened her eyes to see where she was. It was a dark room, no windows, dim emergency lights along the walls were the only source of light in the concrete space. She hurt all over, her arm that wasn't chained to the wall was roughly splinted, wrapped, and ached terribly. She was worried it was broken. She started to hyperventilate as panic seeped into her, before she felt Alexander through their bond. How his heart had filled with joy when she had woken up. She sought her connection to him immediately for reassurance.

Alexander was on the way to her already, because he could feel her, he could find her. She ran her fingers over the now faded scar on her neck. It had healed impossibly quickly. It normally took her skin years to have a scar fade to the silver color that blended in with her pale flesh. Another special gift werewolves must have.

Every feather light touch on that scar made her feel better, closer to Alexander. His emotions in her head also felt stronger when she touched it. He was coming, she could feel it. She had no doubts. He had rescued her once already. He would do it again. Melody was doing her best to reassure herself. Footsteps were drawing closer, and it wasn't a rhythm she knew. She grew nervous wondering who was coming and why she was here. She drew herself up small, waiting to see who would open the door, what would come next.

The footsteps came to stop in front of the solid looking door on the far side of the room from where Melody was chained. She heard the sound of several locks being opened before the door opened. Bright blinding light flooded in, making Melody shield her dark adjusted eyes. "You're awake. Good. That's really good." She didn't know the voice, he sounded sincerely glad she was awake if very nervous. Melody wasn't able to see his face clearly while he was backlit. He was holding a metal tray, without coming more than a step into the room he set it down on the ground and pushed it violently across the room, close enough to Melody to grasp it and pull it closer. "Eat, there's a couple pain pills on the tray. Your arm is broken." the figure turned and left, ignoring Melody's cries asking who he was, what was happening completely.

Melody choked back a sob. Looking down at her provisions, a piece of bread, a chunk of cheese and a bottle of water. As well as two tylenol which she took immediately to try and dull the many aches all over her body. Her head hurt a lot and she felt nauseated and unwilling to eat just now. She sipped on the water as she leaned back against the cold concrete wall behind her, trying to piece together what had happened, taking stock of her injuries.

Her body felt weird and sluggish, like she was too heavy. She had scrapes and bruises all over her body. The broken arm was the worst injury it seemed. At least her legs were ok. She would be able to run when she had the chance. If she could get unbolted from the wall anyways.

She wracked her memory trying to work backwards. She had been biking back home. Alexander had been driving close by, and had only gone around the corner. Melody thought back, trying to remember, she was on the last road, there were only a couple far spaced homes in between thick groves of old growth trees, so close to the pack boarder. Melody remembered hearing tires spin on gravel, she had turned around and saw a white van come tearing out of a driveway, turning in her direction. The van was driving much too quickly, she had moved even further off the road, to be well out of the way when the van went by. Was practically riding in the shallow ditch. But the van never passed her, she felt a pinch on her neck and everything went dark.

Her hand went to where she felt the pinch, she was bruised and tender there. Had she been drugged with a dart like an animal? That was the only thing that made sense. Then she must have fallen off her bike, which explained why she ached all over and also probably how she broke her arm. She felt a little better now that she had mapped out what had happened to her. But she was still left wondering why and where she was.

She was literally no one. Nothing special or important about her in any way. The only one who thought she was special was Alexander. Then it hit her. He was someone special and important, he would lead his own pack one day. She wished they had talked more about his family and his home, anything that would give her some insight into why she would be a target. She tried to temper her fear as she realised this had to be something shifter related. She didn't want her emotions to affect Alexander, she could already feel how anxious he was, he was blaming himself. If her emotions got him too worked up, he might do something stupid. Everyone had to be smart right now, especially Melody.

She held her breath for several moments, trying to listen for any sounds. But all she could hear was her own heartbeat in her ears. Wherever she was, it was isolated, and well sound proofed. She had only heard the footsteps of the tray guy when he was already almost at the door. She sighed deeply. Wishing for a blanket or something soft to lean against. She shuffled herself around trying to get into a comfortable position, laying her head back against the wall, she closed her eyes and focused on being calm, focused and in control. Sending her will and calm energy to Alexander, trying to soothe him through the distance separating them.

He would come for her, and everything would be ok.